Open Chat > Open Talk

Question

(1/7) > >>

Dumb and Dumber:
This is regarding my home wifi.
This morning my wifi was dead on all my devices, except my PC which is connected via cable. So further investigation confirmed my password changed.
Does this mean I was hacked or did the service provider maybe made a mistake somewhere.
My modems log in address on its login page has a different password than my wifi password.
I have Vodacom 5g.
Can someone knowing my wifi password easily hack my modem with its different password.
Will n stronger password prevent the hacking or is it not possible at all?

mygoggie:
Sounds like you still had internet access whilst cable connected.

This means someone managed to crack your WiFi password and used your WiFi to get internet access.

Change your WiFi password to at least 13 characters. Best is to use a simple sentence such as: MyD3arWife1sSimply#1

Make sure your WiFi encryption type is set to WPA2 (WPA2-PSK or WPA2-Personal).

Also remove all DHCP addresses allocated. Most probably you will see in the DHCP allocation list who the culprit is.

Reboot the router.

santoshlv426:
I don't think it can be that. We all know that the default user name and password for all routers (ie. to log in) is "admin" and "admin"
But even then, you need to still connect to the WIFI from Windows and then only log in. And to connect via Windows, you need the WIFI password which is that long alphanumeric number physically printed on the router.

And why would someone want to expel the effort to crack your internet connection.

It could be someone with access to your router e.g family was messing with it and messed up the password.

When I was a kid in the late 80s, I was playing the the M Net decoder parental lock, didn't remember it and my uncle had to pay MNET to reset it !! He was not happy.

Dumb and Dumber:

--- Quote from: santoshlv426 on January 05, 2022, 11:40:01 AM ---I don't think it can be that. We all know that the default user name and password for all routers (ie. to log in) is "admin" and "admin"
But even then, you need to still connect to the WIFI from Windows and then only log in. And to connect via Windows, you need the WIFI password which is that long alphanumeric number physically printed on the router.

And why would someone want to expel the effort to crack your internet connection.

It could be someone with access to your router e.g family was messing with it and messed up the password.

When I was a kid in the late 80s, I was playing the the M Net decoder parental lock, didn't remember it and my uncle had to pay MNET to reset it !! He was not happy.

--- End quote ---

Quite a few people have access to the router.
The only default on my router is the username admin, besides that, I've got strong passwords.
Probably  someone already connected who played around...

santoshlv426:
I wouldn't worry. Someone in the house was probably messing about.
what I  do is just make a note on paper of ALL the devices in the house/connected and their respective MAC addresses and every so often cross check with what's actually connected to the router.
If someone is logging on who shouldn't, you'll pick it up.
Whenever I've had unexplained high data usage, the problem is ALWAYS on my side.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version