Ortofon or similar

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simphiwes

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all,

Newish to vinyl and looking to grow my collection. Recently added Pro-ject TT (something entry level - the plinth is red if that makes any difference) to my gear from using a Sansui TT(FR-D35) for more than 5 to 10 yrs. The difference to me is night and day. The Pro-ject uses an ortofon red dot cartridge or needle....don't have the terminology quite right yet. The Sansui uses a needle from Sony so nothing special. i find the Pro-ject to sound more dynamic and clearer in general and the Sansui wooly and muted in general in comparison. Should I replace the needle (to something from ortofon) on the Sansui to bring up its performance. I've optimised the Sansui weight downforce thingie :point: and that hasn't improved things much except make it less wooly. :nfi: would like to keep the Sansui as a second TT but wondering if a needle upgrade would be worth it or should i just look at getting another Pro-ject tt with an ortofon needle and give away the Sansui.

Regards.