Will I get improved video and audio with another box

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisd

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
              I've been following on and off some of the discussions around the Nvidia Shield and Amazon Cube which is complimentary in what I have read.So I was wondering whether either will improve our TV viewing and the range of streaming services available.I have a Samsung QLED 4k tv which comes with Netflix,Apple TV.Amazon Prime plus a number of other services such as Spotify ,Tidal which may be downloaded and installed.I'm most interested in movies and TV shows.Some of the other streaming services offered on the TV are old movies and the applications are usually poor with minimal search engines and poor quality video and audio.
            Looking at the capabilities of the Nvidia shield I get the impression that it is aimed at gamers wanting to use a big screen TV to enhance their experience.I have no interest in gaming.If however it was possible to download and install more streaming and video services than the Samsung tv offers,then I may be interested.One service I subscribe to is Britbox,but the interface between me and the TV is quite crude and a pain in the backside to use.The Samsung TV does not seem to offer an unlimited range of apps to download and does not seem to be configurable by the user.I guess its what Samsung have decided is in demand by viewers.
            Am I expecting too much of the hardware/software?It make me think that when I first bought a PC in 1983,the disk drives could not read some of the disks/prgrammes that were loaded and it was only after Windows XP that I felt the machine was usable.Maybe this is a case of waiting for the TV hardware and software to catch up with user expectations