Author Topic: What happend with access to this forum???  (Read 1420 times)

Offline chrisg

What happend with access to this forum???
« on: June 18, 2011, 02:28:42 AM »
Not sure if this is right place for this post.
I have major problem for last week or two to access this forum, being (and working) abroad in Russian Federation.
While in the office, work computers are routed via VPN to Holland and my IP address is 144.209.104.160 - no problem . When in my apartment I go trough local service provider, my IP address is 195.72.249.157 (russian federation) and got "nice" message that I am banned from this forum. I understand that IP filtering is done for the reason: spam, hacking, etc,etc. But... Can forum "generals" turn ip filtering off based on my credentials (login, password, etc).
I know RF is considered high risk country , I had many on-line credit card transaction refused, purely on IP filtering basis.
I tried mask my real IP and change to us or uk IP, but forum software is far too clever for that. I was able to lure it only once off when i combined fake IP address with private browsing on Firefox. I don't know if using Ubuntu  would help, probably not.
Unfortunately I am 75% of my time abroad and cannot use my work time for leisure and hobby  ;) all the time. Help please !!!!!.

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
Re: What happend with access to this forum???
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 06:04:24 AM »
Hi Chris,

You cannot imagine the amount of spam registrations we've been getting in the last two weeks. It seems like the forum authentication has been cracked, so I end up with 50 or so 'registrations' every morning when I sit down at my PC. And yes, most of these are from Russia and Poland. Because this forum is reasonably local I blocked those IPs for the time being.

Kay is working on getting the new forum software loaded, this has better ways of dealing with these spam registrations than the current version.

I hope you understand?

PS: Looking at the IP, one of the big spammers must be a neighbour. Just walk over there and smack him on the head, won't you?
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline chrisg

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 07:55:53 AM »
Looking at the IP, one of the big spammers must be a neighbour. Just walk over there and smack him on the head, won't you?
I have about about 50 neighbours of which at least 60% has Internet connection...you're asking too much, mate. ;D
Since I am on Sakhalin , my neighbours are probably hacked and spammed by fellow hackers from N. Korea and China. :o
Couple of months ago i had to pay for internet traffic I haven't incurred. It looked to me like insider jobbie from service provider. Very recently, RosTelekom took over my service provider, in few days I will have new login and password for internet access and hopefully things will change for the better.  I hope I am well protected from internet abuse, wpa2 encryption and latest trend micro internet security.
Kay is working on getting the new forum software loaded, this has better ways of dealing with these spam registrations than the current version.

I hope you understand?

Will patiently wait till you guys sort these problems out. Good luck with new software. :)

BTW, on 25.6 i will be back in SA for 3 weeks. It would be interesting to know if you still receive "fake" registrations from my Russian IP address. Since these addresses are allocated dynamically per session, they might vary slightly.

Offline u235

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • I'm sure I can hear the difference now.........
    • Youngblood Consultants
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 06:44:11 PM »
Hey chrisg - what on earth is an Sa based boy doing on Sakhalin? I thought all there was there was great steelhead trout!
Upon the plains bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died.

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 07:01:27 PM »
I thought all there was there was great steelhead trout!

And spammers
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline Schalk

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:38:10 PM »

Offline chrisg

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 01:21:34 AM »
Hey chrisg - what on earth is an Sa based boy doing on Sakhalin? I thought all there was there was great steelhead trout!
they have a real winter there. Last year we had -30, this year was only -15.
plenty fish, mainly salmon (and brown bears eating fish). All english speaking medical doctors in SOS Clinic are south africans. Construction manager on the project I am working on is South african. South africans are everywhere...
And KGB ...
It is called FSB now.

Offline Enigma_2k4

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 08:41:15 AM »
Agreed! I bump into SAfricans EVERYWHERE I travel! It's crazy!