Decisions on AVR

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enigma_2k4

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok, here's the situation. I have a good friend coming back to SA from the states and he's offered me 30kg of luggage room so I have been looking around at getting my AVR from the US. Now I know that there are 2 challenges with this:
1. Guarantee
2. Step down for power

For 1. It really doesn't mean anything too me as in 3 months time I will be back in deep dark Africa again and I am sure that if something breaks my guarantee will meen fokol anyway. The cost of shipping 20kg's of AVR back and forward would offset the cost of repairing locally.
For 2. I have done this before with goodies I purchased from the US previously (Xbox) and used extensively. No hassles at all.

So, given that, I have been looking at:
Denon 23-11CI 7.2
Onkyo NR808 7.2 with networking

I LOVE Denon kit, but value wise the Onkyo seems to trump it with networking capabilities and a better power output.

What would you all do and why? Would you rather look at something else entirely in the same price group?

If I'm being a complete chop about this and making all the wrong decisions entirely let me know please! I promise, being a ginger I am thick skinned and can't be offended...