Author Topic: Sonor Lyra users: any cables to recommend  (Read 1203 times)

Online RRankin

Sonor Lyra users: any cables to recommend
« on: December 27, 2021, 09:38:18 AM »
As per subject line: can the Sonor Lyra owners tell me what cables they have found worked well with their Lyra's.

Whatever worked well for you, if it was bloudraad, then share (Damn the wife replaced all our coat hangers with those plastic ones, bet they sound bad... :)).

PS. I am likely to steer clear of silver cables, but if that was your preference, please share. All insights are valuable.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Kshah

Re: Sonor Lyra users: any cables to recommend
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 09:06:10 PM »
@georgew has had those and a set of Cappelas before that. Perhaps he can share?

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Offline Nirvana

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 11:31:31 AM »
Aaron (XL1000) also has a pair, loves them on his Predator, maybe pm him too..?

:dop:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline XL1000

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 04:03:10 PM »
Today I tries Clearwater cables. Nice enough. Not a very noticeable difference from std monster. Have some others Iím going to play with this next week. Can also try something from Francois if you have a preference in mind?
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Online RRankin

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 09:15:53 PM »
Thanks for all replies, from owner and those who pointed to owners who may help.

Some background, got a set of walnut Lyra's in December.

They are stunning to look at and a joy to listen to. They replaced a set of Sonor VkIII's that will now do duty probably in bedroom, if I can shoehorn them in......

My reason for question about speaker cables is fortunately not due to any major issues I am encountering, they sound good so far with some setup fine-tuning having taken place already, current speaker cables are a pair of (fairly modest) Sommer Cable Meridian's.

Good bass, excellent imaging, and good tops if a bit bright, which I can fortunately tame easily with the Accuphase amp's tone control tweaked very slightly to the left.

XL1000, which Monsters do you use, M1.2 or M1.4. I quite like those, had a surplus set some years ago which I sold and now regret. Are you happy with that generally speaking? (whatever model Monster's you use).

Offline XL1000

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 03:12:48 PM »
I do prefer the VDH Clearwater and have a few unknown brands yet to deploy but I am really still busy with the finishing of my room and the integration of a Monitor Audio Gold sub.
I have a ways to go yet, but I'll stay in touch. (The sub is so far an awesome integration.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Online RRankin

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 08:25:46 PM »
I do prefer the VDH Clearwater and have a few unknown brands yet to deploy but I am really still busy with the finishing of my room and the integration of a Monitor Audio Gold sub.
I have a ways to go yet, but I'll stay in touch. (The sub is so far an awesome integration.

Good luck with the setup work, and thanks for the VDH recommendation.

Online RRankin

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 03:30:36 PM »
So I ended now with Van den Hul D352 hybrid speaker cables.

Yes its the cables sold by Andile recently, who was an absolute pleasure to deal with. Gentleman.

I am very happy. Offcourse there is no such thing as a day and night difference between two cables, and the Sommer Cables, although modestly priced, are good and have served me well in this system for a couple of years (Think I bought it from Mervin when he was still in RSA). But the D352's just do a couple of things a little bit better resulting in noticeable improvement.

A couple of posts earlier in this thread I mentioned a bit of brightness that bothered. That is no more. The tone controls are bypassed now.

Bass seems to have gained some warmth. Love that.

Imaging is +- the same as previous, but micro dynamics are definitely more present. They must have been there previously, but went unnoticed.

Thanks for the recommendations that pointed to VdH being a possible solution, which I can confirm now too.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 03:33:11 PM by RRankin »