DIY & Tutorials > DIY Resources

Speaker grill material for antique radio

(1/2) > >>

mosfet:
Does anyone know where to find speaker grill cloth for aa table top antique radio?

marantz123:
Depends on what you are looking for...

You can get an almost exact replica or NOS of the material via international online vendors, will cost a premium though.

If looking for something that will suit the era of the item, wading through large stockists of material types may yield results. I have found suitable material akin to that of the Philips radiogram models at Metro Home stores. Otherwise, find the oldest stores/outlets of material you can find..these places are usually in semi-industrial factory-shop locations..not in your local/best shopping malls. I made it a habit to pop into such stores when I come across them, always on the look out for such material. (I found a weave with a bit of gold fleck in it in an oatmeal colour and another in beige which was suitable for the era of the item).

Good luck. :thumbs:

Des Miles:

Exactly like @marantz123 says above. NOS or reproduction cloth will cost more than the value of the radio! Below some I've had to use, the last photo of a Philco was manufactured in 1929 and the grill cloth is still perfect.

Family_Dog:
Des, that is just soooo beautiful! Presumably an energised speaker as well?

I have an old Cathedral-type RCA radio as well, cosmetics are perfect. Electronically, it worked when I last used it but pretty sure it can do with some TLC maintenance to keep on doing so.

-F_D

kinosfronimos:
In Jhb there's the haberdasheries Authur Bales (Linden) and Fiona's (Randburg)

Sent from my MI CC 9 using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version