Author Topic: Replaced RAM: mobo won't POST - any ideas?  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Rotten Johnny

Replaced RAM: mobo won't POST - any ideas?
« on: June 03, 2011, 06:22:03 PM »
My main PC is an ASUS P5E64 WS Professional.  After ensuring the mobo supports DDR3 1333 I went ahead and bought 4 x 2GB Transcend DDR3-1333 DIMMs today.  I poped them in and the mobo fails to post - no beep, no signal to video etc..  A blue LED labelled DIAG DRAM lights up on the mobo. I checked to ensure they're all seated properly etc and retried.  No cigar (or smoke  ;)).  Put the 2 x 1GB DDR3 1066 sticks back in and it posts.  I noticed tonight that Transcend isn't on the Qualified Vendor List for this mobo, but damnit, dram is dram, not so?  What do you guys think - is the likely a compatibility issue or could the DIMMs be faulty?
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
Re: Replaced RAM: mobo won't POST - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:21:53 PM »
Have you tried updating the BIOS? Not sure if it'll work, but it generally fixes issues like these.
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:31:33 PM »
I think I'm running the latest BIOS but will check.  Found some fine print in the mobo manual..."This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128mb chips or double sided x 16 memory modules."  Guess that settles it, @$%#^%$#$%^!!!

Offline ara

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:42:14 PM »
Just be carefull if you decide to buy other ram. Download CPU-Z and check the voltage of the current ram. If memory serves me correct the X38 chipset of your motherboard requires a higher voltage DDR3. Something like these

http://www.prophecy.co.za/kingmax-ddr31333-desktop-memory-p-34995.html and not the new DDR3 that runs at 1.5v/1.65v.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:47:21 PM »
Thx Gideon, I'll have to do a little more investigating.  I'm hoping that it's at least possible to get some RAM.  I'm in no mood to buy another motherboard - this PCs quick enough for all my needs, I just need more RAM in it to handle the volumes of data I'm loading in RAM.

Turns out though I'm running a very early BIOS, so maybe, just maybe a BIOS update will result in a minor miracle.  I've clearly lost interest in PCs - there was a time not so long ago I'd always be running the latest BIOS.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:50:25 PM by audiomuze »

Offline OEMSH4

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »
It could be that the board has a RAM limit of 4gb,,,? Check your manual, I think my P5K something or other... ASUS board had a limit of 4GB.

:(

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:08:50 PM »
^^^

It's definitely 8GB:
4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066/800 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
*When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.

Offline OEMSH4

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Sounds like the brand you have is just plain incompatible, sounds stupid but I've had memory that won't work with a correctly spec'd board.
Have you got a bud with 8 Gb of memory to lend you ?  ???

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 10:36:02 PM »
According to Transcend's webiste the DIMMs I bought are compatible with that mobo, so I'm just still holding out some hope for a BIOS update solving the issue.  Of course doing a BIOS update in an age where floppy disks don't exist anymore is not fun.

Offline johnc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • It's only rubbish until you need it.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 10:42:51 PM »
I pity the fool who don't have enough RAM  >:( .... (being one myself :P)

I think I'm running the latest BIOS but will check.  Found some fine print in the mobo manual..."This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128mb chips or double sided x 16 memory modules."  Guess that settles it, @$%#^%$#$%^!!!
Has this possible problem been ruled out?

Have you tried 1 card at a time in each slot? Maybe a stoopid suggestion but it is something to try.
Go to the centre of the gravity's pull, and find your planet you will.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 11:05:54 PM »
Problem solved  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

A BIOS upgrade took care of it, I'm up with 3GB showing in Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit.  Will have to switch to 64 bit to get the other 5 in play.  Best I cancel that classified.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 11:13:40 PM »
Just thought I'd add that surprising as I find it, the extra 1GB now visible to Ubuntu has it running noticeably faster than it did with 2GB.  Note to self: future PC builds to have min 4GB RAM.

Rather than install 64 bit I added PAE support as follows:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install linux-generic-pae linux-headers-generic-pae
8GB now available:
Code: [Select]
$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          8067       1037       7030          0        105        453
-/+ buffers/cache:        478       7589
Swap:         5892          0       5892
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:24:21 PM by audiomuze »

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 06:30:54 AM »
So it was a worthwhile exercise - editing tags for around 40k tracks at a time is a breeze  :)

Offline Viagara

• Legendary Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Flying High, Digging Low
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 12:41:05 PM »
Of course doing a BIOS update in an age where floppy disks don't exist anymore is not fun.

Bootable flash drive works a treat.

Referring to the 4GB limit of 32-bit Windows, there are some other "hidden" features, such as that a single process will not be allocated more than 2GB RAM. You may overcome that to some extend by adding the /3GB switch in boot.ini, but rather go 64-bit OS if your processor supports that and then install 8GB RAM else you are wasting your money and time.
Don't take life too seriously, you will not make it out alive.....

(Location Cape Town)

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 01:21:15 PM »
Referring to the 4GB limit of 32-bit Windows, there are some other "hidden" features, such as that a single process will not be allocated more than 2GB RAM. You may overcome that to some extend by adding the /3GB switch in boot.ini, but rather go 64-bit OS if your processor supports that and then install 8GB RAM else you are wasting your money and time.
Yep, except I'm running Linux. From the data loads I've processed this morning Linux PAE doesn't appear to suffer the same limitation.  When I find the motivation to upgrade to the latest Ubuntu I'll install 64 bit though as I'm sure there'll be further performance improvements.