Open Chat > Social Responsibilty

It's A Tiny Donation But Hope It Makes A Huge Difference

(1/1)

AudioJunkie:
Evening gents.

Some of you here might have seen the 2 x pcs I had for sale here on the forum. Well the higher spec'd pc got sold and I have the one lower spec'd pc still with me.

It's December and in the spirit of giving during this time of the year, I decided that I want to donate the pc to a worthy cause.

My first preference for a donation would be to a hard working, dedicated young kid (primary school/ highschool/ University) that maybe has an interest in IT or just needs a pc for research, assignments and projects.

My second option would be to an NPO that really makes a big difference in the community they serve in.

Specs of the pc listed below, it's pretty basic but I know it's enough to help someone out in serving it's purpose. I don't have a monitor but will include a mouse and keyboard.

Motherboard: Packard Bell mcp73put-pm
Ram: 4gb
Graphics: Ms Basic with hdmi output
Hdd: 250gb ssd
Cpu: Intel Quad Core 2 Q8300 2.50ghz
Psu: Corsair gs600
Cd Rom: dvd rewriter

If anyone knows of a great recipient, please feel free to pm me.

I am able to meet/ drop off in Pta and Jhb but if you're a dog lover that can handle an excited, jumping pitbull when entering my yard, you are more than happy to collect from me.

Vishen

Zilch:
Very decent specs.  Best part is this machine even runs Windows 7.

If it does somehow pass through the Cape, I'd love to part with a license of Windows 7 Ultimate I've had for some time now.  Will set it up nicely and get all the drivers working.

Vishen, this is going to make someone very happy!

chrisc:
I've given older PCs that have been upgraded to The Haven Night Shelter which is in Wynberg

The first two came out of an office in 2016.  Complete with monitor, etc.  All I had to do was plug them in

A few days after taking them round, the manager called me and asked if I wouldn't mind coming around and showing some of their visitors (really most of them are permanents) how to use it.   Some of the visitors are quite rough and have experienced a poor quality of life, often not of their own doing although you do hear some stories

One lady turned out to be a whiz using Excel, she knew more than me and was able to recall formulae and macros.   On a subsequent visit this year when I had a repaired laser printer to donate, she is still there and can generate reports and write letters, all using Excel which removes some admin functions from the management.  About 1/3 of the visitors actually contribute, the others leave early looking for door to door donations and bin-diving

One place I will not set foot in is Bonnytown, near the Fire Station also in Wynberg.  I took along 10 bar stools that came out of a restaurant that had closed up.  When taking in the last two, one of the inmates had grabbed a stool and was attacking a guard with it.  I made a hasty retreat and drove off.  I understand the place is full of delinquents and drug addicts

AudioJunkie:

--- Quote from: Zilch on December 13, 2021, 12:00:20 AM ---Very decent specs.  Best part is this machine even runs Windows 7.

If it does somehow pass through the Cape, I'd love to part with a license of Windows 7 Ultimate I've had for some time now.  Will set it up nicely and get all the drivers working.

Vishen, this is going to make someone very happy!

--- End quote ---

Thanks bud. The pc is running a licensed version of Windows 10 pretty nicely.

AudioJunkie:

--- Quote from: chrisc on December 13, 2021, 08:10:13 AM ---I've given older PCs that have been upgraded to The Haven Night Shelter which is in Wynberg

The first two came out of an office in 2016.  Complete with monitor, etc.  All I had to do was plug them in

A few days after taking them round, the manager called me and asked if I wouldn't mind coming around and showing some of their visitors (really most of them are permanents) how to use it.   Some of the visitors are quite rough and have experienced a poor quality of life, often not of their own doing although you do hear some stories

One lady turned out to be a whiz using Excel, she knew more than me and was able to recall formulae and macros.   On a subsequent visit this year when I had a repaired laser printer to donate, she is still there and can generate reports and write letters, all using Excel which removes some admin functions from the management.  About 1/3 of the visitors actually contribute, the others leave early looking for door to door donations and bin-diving

One place I will not set foot in is Bonnytown, near the Fire Station also in Wynberg.  I took along 10 bar stools that came out of a restaurant that had closed up.  When taking in the last two, one of the inmates had grabbed a stool and was attacking a guard with it.  I made a hasty retreat and drove off.  I understand the place is full of delinquents and drug addicts

--- End quote ---

I think if I can't a suitable cause here in Gp for this then il ship it to you to donate to The Haven Night Shelter.

I was even thinking of giving it to my local SPCA, maybe the staff could use it in the offices.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version