Author Topic: 8th Gen Nuc8i3beh audio bitstream  (Read 328 times)

Offline TheoVogel

8th Gen Nuc8i3beh audio bitstream
« on: November 29, 2021, 08:37:31 PM »
Hi Guys,

I bought a NUCI3BEH some time ago with the idea of using it as a media player feeding my Onkyo AVR and Samsung TV with beautiful 4k HDR content while bitstreaming the audio to be decoded by the AVR.

According the specs from Intel all of this is possible using the Nuc's Hdmi 2.0a port.
I tried various media players in both Windows 10 and 11 without success. Video works without any issues, but audio is not. I can't get any form multi channel audio via Hdmi let alone bitstreaming any HD audio streams. Latest driver, latest Bios as well as the latest Hdmi firmware. The moment I switch the output from anything other than stereo I get no sound what so ever.

I also tried various Linux flavors like Openelec, exactly the same issue.

Can anyone give some input on what to try next?

Offline Nikkel

Re: 8th Gen Nuc8i3beh audio bitstream
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 08:50:38 PM »
You don't mention what media software/players...?

Offline TheoVogel

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 09:00:32 PM »
Hehe, I tried "all" of them. Media player, Media Player Classic. VLC, Kodi, Plex.

The audio stops even working before I get to the media players. In Windows even the test tones go silent when I switch to anything but stereo. In Openelec the tones as you just through the menus ago disappear when enabling bitstream or anything other than two channel audio. The AVR also does not show anything under audio when pressing the info button.

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+180)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 09:34:05 PM »
Which audio chip is fitted to the motherboard?

Putting my foot in the deep end, Id suggest this portion of the audio processing is not being supported
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline kinosfronimos

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I've found music to be the therapy of choice
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 09:38:32 PM »
Which audio chip is fitted to the motherboard?

Putting my foot in the deep end, Id suggest this portion of the audio processing is not being supported
I've had this issue before too. Digital 2.0 audio from my HDMI out on my laptop. Not multichannel digital. Very irritating.

Sent from my MI CC 9 using Tapatalk

Monitor Audio Speakers: BR6's, BX-FX's, RX-C; ASW100 Cambridge Audio: Asure 540R V3 & 540D V2; Samsung LED: 46EH5300; Xonar U3 DAC; Bose SoundTrue Around-Ear I & Sony WH-1000M3 Headphones; Denon DM41 mini-Hi-Fi

Offline shadow.clone

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 10:14:47 PM »
I had no issues bit streaming on the very same model of NUC. With VLC, I just had to enable HDMI/SPDIF audio passthrough.