Author Topic: Buying a new TV in 2021 - any advice?  (Read 972 times)

Offline adie

Re: Buying a new TV in 2021 - any advice?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 12:01:46 PM »
The black levels, colour depth and backlighting don't really bug me. There's some unevenness and the picture isn't the brightest, but you can tweak the picture modes a lot.
I don't watch as much as most I reckon- certainly not like I used to when I had the plasma and projector, so there's that.

Offline XL1000

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 02:12:49 PM »
I went shopping for a 55" and wanted the OLED C1 LG - Out of stock, so they showed me the Samsung Q90A 55" I have to admit, the set impressed the heck out of me.
I know the colours are not as true as the LG OLED but man, this is a good piece of kit.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline Neville

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 02:34:53 PM »
I went shopping for a 55" and wanted the OLED C1 LG - Out of stock, so they showed me the Samsung Q90A 55" I have to admit, the set impressed the heck out of me.
I know the colours are not as true as the LG OLED but man, this is a good piece of kit.
Yip, both nice and often compared head-to-head in reviews.

So did you get the Q90A then?

Offline dingeth

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2021, 04:04:02 PM »
I picked up the LG C1 earlier this month as most retailers had it on special (for the 55" version).

The picture quality recently is amazing, and with all the features it's great for gaming as well. Would definitely recommend it, I just can't understand why the 65" version is more than double the price!
Audio Noob

Offline Neville

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2021, 04:11:37 PM »
I picked up the LG C1 earlier this month as most retailers had it on special (for the 55" version).

The picture quality recently is amazing, and with all the features it's great for gaming as well. Would definitely recommend it, I just can't understand why the 65" version is more than double the price!
Yeah, I saw that...it is insane!!! I'd really like to go 65" but might settle for 55 due to this insane price diff. I suppose going from my 50" plasma I am getting slightly bigger with 55" but not much though. Just can't justify R40k+ for a TV...eish!

Offline XL1000

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2021, 04:51:21 PM »
Yip, both nice and often compared head-to-head in reviews.

So did you get the Q90A then?

Placing an order with The Digital Experience.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline dingeth

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2021, 04:56:51 PM »
Yeah, I saw that...it is insane!!! I'd really like to go 65" but might settle for 55 due to this insane price diff. I suppose going from my 50" plasma I am getting slightly bigger with 55" but not much though. Just can't justify R40k+ for a TV...eish!

Well for me I upgraded from a 42" so the size difference was quite noticeable lol
Audio Noob

Offline Dolby

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2021, 10:23:22 AM »
Interesting...from what I've read so far (including in this thread) it seems that if you're used to the depth of colour of plasma, especially the blacks, you're going to battle to switch to LED (or QLED). Seems like OLED is my only option which means I need to double my budget more or less.
Does backlight of the LED's not bother you when watching movies at night?

I have a Q70R which has full array back lighting - and blacks are pretty inky. Not OLED inky, but extremely impressive. Higher up range have more dimming zones and even better black level performance.

Offline msch997

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2021, 02:08:51 PM »
I have a Q70R which has full array back lighting - and blacks are pretty inky. Not OLED inky, but extremely impressive. Higher up range have more dimming zones and even better black level performance.
I have a 65' 2019 Q80R and can echo that I have no complaints re black level performance and its a very bright TV which means it's a great watch when the lights are up as well.