Author Topic: PCIe DAC for PC  (Read 756 times)

Online Tonteldoos

Re: PCIe DAC for PC
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2021, 05:04:01 PM »
I think I will probably go for the Asus,

I would consider an external, I kick myself for selling my Asus Xonar Essence One :(

I used to have an Asus Xonar internal card, and enjoyed it. But then the motherboard packed up, and even if it wasn't technically that difficult, it's still a hack to still have to move the sound card whenever you change the PC. And as you can see, only limited options.

External all the way for me.

Offline Juggy

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2021, 05:28:36 PM »
I used to have an Asus Xonar internal card, and enjoyed it. But then the motherboard packed up, and even if it wasn't technically that difficult, it's still a hack to still have to move the sound card whenever you change the PC. And as you can see, only limited options.

External all the way for me.

Maybe I should just get the Ifi Zen V2 and the Streamer and be done with it. It's a pretty versatile setup although it doesn't have all the options I wanted

Offline blizzard

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Science is a Living thing! It is never Concluded.
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2021, 08:59:47 PM »
Maybe I should just get the Ifi Zen V2 and the Streamer and be done with it. It's a pretty versatile setup although it doesn't have all the options I wanted
Good option and I think about the same price as Asus card. You then have all the same options as per Asus card and can then change it from pc to laptop or phone using USB input for streaming . Headphones out , RCA or Balanced fixed or variable on the back, and being external and using 5v power eliminates all noise issues  ;)  As Tontel says, you are rather limited with the internal sound card.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 09:04:47 PM by blizzard »

Offline Juggy

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2021, 07:41:01 AM »
Good option and I think about the same price as Asus card. You then have all the same options as per Asus card and can then change it from pc to laptop or phone using USB input for streaming . Headphones out , RCA or Balanced fixed or variable on the back, and being external and using 5v power eliminates all noise issues  ;)  As Tontel says, you are rather limited with the internal sound card.

Is Fosi Audio any good? I found this which looks very good for little money. Only thing it doesn't do is pre-amp/headphone amp. The rest looks acceptable.

Fosi Audio DA2120C
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 07:44:37 AM by Juggy »

Offline wolfandy

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2021, 06:01:51 PM »
I can also recommend the Topping products (https://www.tpdz.net/)

I am running a small E30 connected to my PC (running Audirvana) and am very happy with it

They also have bigger models as well as with integrated headphone amp - just have a look

Offline pwatts

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2021, 08:10:21 PM »
I still have a PCI Xonar Essence (ST) available for anyone interested.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline SeanS

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2021, 09:41:10 PM »
I used a ESI Juli@ soundcard and it was good as a standalone DAC, but via coax / SPDIF into a standalone DAC fantastic (Yulong DA8)....

the card died..

Now I use PC USB into the DAC, it is inferior to @Julia coax / spdif. > DAC,  but still better than the ESI @Juila as a standalone DAC ... much better.

Gripes with USB, general background noise.. more noise.

I'd get a card that can do a decent connection to external DAC, not a USB fan..

Offline blizzard

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Science is a Living thing! It is never Concluded.
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2021, 01:51:13 PM »
I used a ESI Juli@ soundcard and it was good as a standalone DAC, but via coax / SPDIF into a standalone DAC fantastic (Yulong DA8)....

the card died..

Now I use PC USB into the DAC, it is inferior to @Julia coax / spdif. > DAC,  but still better than the ESI @Juila as a standalone DAC ... much better.

Gripes with USB, general background noise.. more noise.

I'd get a card that can do a decent connection to external DAC, not a USB fan..
Exactly how I use my Asus STX . SPDIF out to outboard Dac's. Sounds better than USB and std onboard SPDIF. But in a pinch the Asus RCA outs sound good and give most entry to mid level Dac's a good run for their money and in some cases a hiding  ;) 

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2021, 02:52:36 PM »
^^ As @SeanS opined, that is why I persist with my Asus PCI/PCI-e motherboard - ESI Juli@ soundcard - S/PDIF Coaxial- Audio GD Re-clocker (this takes it to another higher level) - S/PDIF Coaxial - Denafrips Ares II Dac.

Dated as the Juli@ may seem, it is so transparent that it will reveal digital cable changes (or any other cable changes) like night and day. I've thrown out a few expensive digital cables in my system.

I hope it never ever dies on me (I have used and still have the previous Maya 44 successfully too).

"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Nikkel

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2021, 07:46:59 PM »
Asus Essence ST was my introduction to the DAC world and I'll buy it again in a heart beat should one pop up!

I love my current DAC but the Asus ST and NuPrime uDSD are 2 gems of note!

Offline pwatts

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2021, 07:52:12 PM »
Asus Essence ST was my introduction to the DAC world and I'll buy it again in a heart beat should one pop up!

I love my current DAC but the Asus ST and NuPrime uDSD are 2 gems of note!
Lol you did see I have an ST I'd like to declutter?

Offline Nikkel

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2021, 07:55:11 PM »
Lol you did see I have an ST I'd like to declutter?

I was banned from the forum for a month so still playing catch up...

Offline pwatts

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2021, 08:28:43 PM »

Offline Nikkel

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2021, 06:01:21 PM »
Here you go!
https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,93895.msg1052831.html#msg1052831
Timing a bit out sadly... Had a Black Friday list I HAD to adhere to as commissioned by wife and kids :sd: :point:

Offline Juggy

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2021, 08:14:51 AM »
I can also recommend the Topping products (https://www.tpdz.net/)

I am running a small E30 connected to my PC (running Audirvana) and am very happy with it

They also have bigger models as well as with integrated headphone amp - just have a look

Thank you, I had forgotten about Topping, I think the E50 and PA5 combo will work nicely with a possible addition of the L50 in the future.