Author Topic: Scubadude's 8kW Solar Installation  (Read 3720 times)

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+107)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
Re: Scubadude's 8kW Solar Installation
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2021, 12:20:14 PM »
Im looking at going the hybrid route with panels at later stage to add the solar panels and geyser. Starting slowly.
Wrong way around IMHO
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Online Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2021, 12:23:57 PM »
Thank you for sharing will not contact until you give your own thumbs up. Just good to have options for when i go the quoting route in the very near future.

Im looking at going the hybrid route with panels at later stage to add the solar panels and geyser. Starting slowly.

If you can, add 3 or 4 panels so long. that you start with ROI. I did a test over 2 weekends where I was running 4 x 430w panels. I made easy between 8 and 11 kwh for the day.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

It's really fun to scare people. (Sabine Schmitz 14.05.1969 - 15.03.2021) RIP

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2021, 12:27:18 PM »
If you can, add 3 or 4 panels so long. that you start with ROI. I did a test over 2 weekends where I was running 4 x 430w panels. I made easy between 8 and 11 kwh for the day.
My point exactly. Every R you save by generating PV power during the day, put into kitty for the batteries. Panels are not the expensive part.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry

Online Gerlach

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2021, 12:30:50 PM »
Thanks
Do you have nay recommendations for possibly JHB
I want to go the 5-8kw Hybrid inverter route with two batteries.
Adding the panels at later stage as the funds become available.

I was looking at pylon batteries with GroSolar inverter.

GroSolar? sound familiar. Just check for the dodgy sellers on FB and Gumtree, that is selling stolen stuff. Stay away from any Voltronics type of brand inverter if you can.

The guys that I know up in JHB side install Victron stuff.

Offline juventino

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2021, 01:07:04 PM »
GroSolar? sound familiar. Just check for the dodgy sellers on FB and Gumtree, that is selling stolen stuff. Stay away from any Voltronics type of brand inverter if you can.

Sorry autocorrect messed me up there its GroWatt Inverters.
I wnt on the powerforum that has been mentioned and was looking at the Sunsynk hybrid

Steering clear of FB and Gumtree

The only reason im not contemplating the solar right away is that the roofs in our complex were not made to carry the additional weight so would mean reinforcing the roof trusses which brings in extra costs. So just want something for now that will carry me through the 2-3hrs of loadshedding as wife works from home.

Offline XL1000

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
    • Harcourts Rhino Real Estate
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2021, 01:20:15 PM »

Victron is great but hellish expensive? Better for commercial use or am I wrong? At least a business can claim back up to 28% by 100% depreciation in the first year.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Online Gerlach

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2021, 01:28:06 PM »
Sorry autocorrect messed me up there its GroWatt Inverters.
I wnt on the powerforum that has been mentioned and was looking at the Sunsynk hybrid

Steering clear of FB and Gumtree

The only reason im not contemplating the solar right away is that the roofs in our complex were not made to carry the additional weight so would mean reinforcing the roof trusses which brings in extra costs. So just want something for now that will carry me through the 2-3hrs of loadshedding as wife works from home.

Ahaaa. ok. No Problem.
The Sunsynk is a good brand inverter and it's a hybrid inverter to.

The weight of the panels is spread over the length of the rails that gets mounted to the trusses. Panels avg weight is between 21kg tot 27kg, so I think you will not have problems.

Online Gerlach

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2021, 01:37:24 PM »
Victron is great but hellish expensive? Better for commercial use or am I wrong? At least a business can claim back up to 28% by 100% depreciation in the first year.

Jip, they are expensive, but there is reason why, there product is really good and last. There back service is really good and they got there own internet platform and forum that is supper active and they got constant updates with the products to keep up with all the new stuff that is arriving on the market. You don't see allot of inverters and mppts on the second hand market because the guys are holding on to them. 

For home use there products are really good. I bit the bullet and bought 250/100 and 150/100 mppt and Cerbo and addons, and this was one of the best things I did. There stuff is just way more advance and you can do allot of stuff and there stuff is aim for the tech guys.

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2021, 09:33:43 PM »
So far so good. All the hardware was delivered today, and 14 panels installed.  Tomorrow should see completion of the electrical side and commissioning.  Lesson learnt today - do not assume your roof is in good condition.  Plan ahead and get it checked and painted before the installation. I did not and may live to regret it.   
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2021, 09:38:04 PM »
So far so good. All the hardware was delivered today, and 14 panels installed.  Tomorrow should see completion of the electrical side and commissioning.  Lesson learnt today - do not assume your roof is in good condition.  Plan ahead and get it checked and painted before the installation. I did not and may live to regret it.
Ouch. Do tell, about the roof?

Offline naboo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2021, 07:12:39 AM »
Sunsynk vs Goodwe, any opinions? Or is that like asking about cables....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline XL1000

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
    • Harcourts Rhino Real Estate
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2021, 07:47:24 AM »

I too had a quote done by your chap yesterday - came in just shy of R200,000.00 but this morning he told me it was a system error and he will resend it today.
I will ask if he does Victron. I had been looking at a budget slightly north of R200K so if one can get premium equipment in that budget, great. I have been quoted in excess of R240K for a Sunsynk setup.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline DACMan1

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2021, 07:54:04 AM »
Sunsynk vs Goodwe, any opinions? Or is that like asking about cables....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Sunsynk is better value for money. Goodwe has a good track record. Victron if you want to waste money for no good reason. Studer or MLT if you want to waste money for a somewhat justifiable reason.

Offline oradba69

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+10)
    • Lerange
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2021, 08:09:39 AM »
Victron if you want to waste money for no good reason.
Sounds like Victron is the Festool of Inverters, meaning I will waste money again if I go this route ;-)
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
http://www.lerange.com

Offline dkronie

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2021, 10:44:42 AM »
Sounds like Victron is the Festool of Inverters, meaning I will waste money again if I go this route ;-)
As far as I know, Transformer based (Victron,etc) inverters are more for commercial use , Transformerless (Sunsynk , Goodwe,etc)  for home use
Northen Sub , Cape Town