Author Topic: Why are there so many sales posts with no images?  (Read 1844 times)

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+107)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
Re: Why are there so many sales posts with no images?
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2021, 09:01:39 PM »
Tapatalk, great for photo's, crap for typing. My work laptop also blocks all image sharing, so I am on TT perpetually. When posting, I post photos using TT, then edit to add text on laptop.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Same here, most of the time. Even if it's only to be able to post photos, TT is the answer.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+180)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2021, 09:59:32 PM »
Chris, the problem is seldom taking a photo, but embedding it into a forum post.

Yes, but there are several detailed tutorials.  With a bit of effort and practice, it’s almost automatic.

What I did find on Imgur.com is to create a folder on there for myself, then two steps for uploading pictures are not necessary
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2021, 06:42:58 AM »
So Erik, make it a rule now....😉

That would be ideal, but it would also discourage some lazy posters who would simply post their sales ad elsewhere, meaning we could miss out on a possible good buy.

I strongly encourage photos, but I do not think they should be compulsory for this reason. If, however, the goods are second  hand with blemishes, then it should go without saying that pics must be presented.

Items like valves do not require photos.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline XL1000

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2021, 08:40:08 AM »
Vote cast and unashamedly I voted yes! For all the reasons already mentioned and more. So far the result heavily supports this point of view.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Online ron g

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2021, 09:08:45 AM »

shouldn't the question be "why are there so many threads / posts about sales posts with no images"? :thinking: :thinking:
& you sit there in the rubble, till it starts to feel like home
mary gauthier

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2021, 09:13:16 AM »

shouldn't the question be "why are there so many threads / posts about sales posts with no images"? :thinking: :thinking:
:notworthy:
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry

Offline charles

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2021, 12:59:08 PM »
If one makes it compulsory:

Risk is to loose some members and like Family_Dog said they will just post it elsewhere.

To be consequent, then the Non-AV items for sale must also have photographs.

Offline Eish

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2021, 01:53:36 PM »
Compulsory - perhaps not.  But it helps the buyer when there is a picture, also Price in the title

Also, why not use Onedrive to embed pictures?  No need to go to imgur and postimage - they have all these irritating adverts at postimage that greet you even before the picture.
There are rules, and rules must be followed

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+180)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2021, 03:40:19 PM »
Facebook marketplace is worse than Gumtree for scammers and people who won't let you alone
I have heard disturbing stories from people who tried to sell stuff there
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline XL1000

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2021, 05:06:44 PM »
Took me 45 seconds to load this image and post it.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2021, 06:29:27 PM »
Took me 45 seconds to load this image and post it.

No price means it's free. Dibz!

Offline Spurge

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2021, 09:52:22 PM »
Pictures of items being advertised are "nice" but not essential.

Simply name the item correctly.

When someone enquires re the posting ask for their cell number (or email address) and send them pictures on WhatsApp or email.

In many cases, you may have no pictures of the item, but you can give an URL where the item can be viewed.

BTW many posters with pictures use pictures sourced from the Internet and not of the actual item.

So my vote is for "do not enforce pictures".

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2021, 02:07:22 PM »
I cross posted my solar project on Powerforum and literally dragged and dropped the pics from my AVF post.Clearly there are better ways of doing it than what we are used to.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline naughty

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2021, 02:30:15 PM »
I cross posted my solar project on Powerforum and literally dragged and dropped the pics from my AVF post.Clearly there are better ways of doing it than what we are used to.

:stop: oh sure there are literally 100s of ways to do it - some easy and some hard but that means when we come across a different way of doing it instead of how its done here, that we must be lazy and not do it at all  :roll: :Ooooooh:  :nfi:

the main idea being - when we are using a free platform that takes someones time to create - should they change and spend more time and effort or should we change and spend time and effort given that this is a free platform and the guy doing it probably wants to do it as easilly as he can given that he spends time, effort and money to provide this platform for others to use when he barely uses it himself?

and Francois this is not posted directly at you but is just a general observation aimed at everyone who wants change here, just because they want change ie why are there so many whinging entitled people around that want others to spend money, effort and time for their benefit and who are never satisfied with what they get .... even when its free, and they pay nothing for it ..... yet they don't want to take the one minute extra to post the pictures that would make their own sale effort easier ...... pretty petty on the part of the guys who want an easier method IMHO  :nfi:  :roll:  :sulky:

IMHO Kay is  not charging for our usage of the site - he has no need to do any research as to which forum software will be better or pay a bit more for server space that will allow the forumites to post pictures for free but which costs the owner of the site more money to host the actual site ..... in actual fact he owes no-one here anything at all in order to make their life easier because all the members do here is just register and post ..... and yet there are so many moaning myrtles here that are just too lazy to post their own pics ..... given that the space required to post pics on the forums server could land up doubling or maybe even increasing the costs of the hosting server capacity beyond even double

other sites could be absorbing those costs with advertising revenue etc which is not happening here - so for that free hosting space would you be prepared for a barrage of methods that pay for the additional hosting space required like adverts on the top of the page eating into your bandwidth and telling you to switch of your advert blocker during each visit .... there would be a bigger outcry if this happened
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 02:40:02 PM by naughty »

Offline desj

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2021, 06:57:12 PM »
This is a difficult one to place in either a” yes” or “no” box. I personally think that every advert should have at least two pictures and I don’t believe that it is too difficult to post the pictures. However one has to be careful of placing too many rules in the forum. It’s about trying to maintain / achieve that sweet spot between rules and free for all. Common decency rules are obviously needed, but does it harm any member, besides the advertiser, if an advert does not have pictures? The requirement for pictures in an advert should be strongly driven, which I think it is, but I don’t think that adverts without pictures should be deleted. There will always be different views on this. I saw recently, what I took to be a genuine offer of help by an administrator making the effort to assist an advertiser with posting pictures, being accused of being petty. To me the balance is important.