Author Topic: Why are there so many sales posts with no images?  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Family_Dog

Re: Why are there so many sales posts with no images?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 05:39:14 PM »
Actually, we used to request that sellers do post pics or face the removal of their ads, and all hell broke loose from the guys who figured we are not allowing democracy on the forum. Then we figured a gentle nudge here and there followed by other member's requests to provide pics might be encouraging. Then when we removed the posts, we were accused of being very nasty.

It's similar to when people sell "XYZ", with absolutely no description of what they actually are selling. Sometimes we oblige by correcting their titles and put in plain language a description of what this XYZ is, sometimes we delete the messages if there is no feedback from the seller.

It's a strange, strange world that we live in...  :flyswat:

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline naboo

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 05:53:59 PM »
It can't be made simpler. It's a limitation of the forum software. It is not that cumbersome to do as Chris explained above. Otherwise Tapatalk is the easiest.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
It can be made (much) simpler. Have a look at the audiocircle forum.

The implication is that you need storage space, which comes at a cost, this forum is free (thank you).

If we can get an idea of the cost of adding disk to the platform, we can make some estimates for cost. If it is low enough, I'm sure some people will pitch in (I will) to make it happen.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 06:08:25 PM »
Actually, we used to request that sellers do post pics or face the removal of their ads, and all hell broke loose from the guys who figured we are not allowing democracy on the forum. Then we figured a gentle nudge here and there followed by other member's requests to provide pics might be encouraging. Then when we removed the posts, we were accused of being very nasty.

It's similar to when people sell "XYZ", with absolutely no description of what they actually are selling. Sometimes we oblige by correcting their titles and put in plain language a description of what this XYZ is, sometimes we delete the messages if there is no feedback from the seller.

It's a strange, strange world that we live in...  :flyswat:

-F_D

Master Jack. No good deed goes unpunished.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+107)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2021, 07:11:04 PM »
It can be made (much) simpler. Have a look at the audiocircle forum.

The implication is that you need storage space, which comes at a cost, this forum is free (thank you).

If we can get an idea of the cost of adding disk to the platform, we can make some estimates for cost. If it is low enough, I'm sure some people will pitch in (I will) to make it happen.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Been pondered in the past. Never gonna get everyone to contribute.

I reckon let's vote on it (again). If the vote says good quality high res well lit and focused pics must be provided with ads, then mods please use the democracy axe that you have been dealt.
Flip, anything is better then forever lingering issue of no photos and threads that pop up about it.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when youíve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Baseline

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2021, 07:52:32 PM »
Whilst I am in favour of a mandatory 2 photo minimum with 'for sale' ads, one of the front and one of the back, it annoys the hell out of me when someone has posted beautiful photos of their setup at home and every tool that wants to comment and compliment the member then feels the need to use the 'quote' function and repost all the photos just to say 'nice :thumbs:'. That is a complete waste of space and would throw up serious red flags when considering paying for and hosting photos ourselves. As has been stated many times by many members, it is not rocket science to post pics and there are several tutorials and sites to choose from.
.It's all about the Music.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2021, 07:59:19 PM »

... feels the need to use the 'quote' function and repost all the photos just to say 'nice ...

:2thumbs:
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry

Offline naughty

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2021, 08:08:04 PM »
Whilst I am in favour of a mandatory 2 photo minimum with 'for sale' ads, one of the front and one of the back, it annoys the hell out of me when someone has posted beautiful photos of their setup at home and every tool that wants to comment and compliment the member then feels the need to use the 'quote' function and repost all the photos just to say 'nice :thumbs:'. That is a complete waste of space and would throw up serious red flags when considering paying for and hosting photos ourselves. As has been stated many times by many members, it is not rocket science to post pics and there are several tutorials and sites to choose from.

if anyone seriously has to pay for photo hosting nowadays then they seriously are doing something wrong - there are lots of free platforms where you can do it - just do a small google search - heres the first result for "free photo hosting websites"

https://www.wix.com/blog/photography/free-image-hosting-sites

how is it a waste of any space? - AFAIK how the internet works is that once it is posted it is then in a cache and it doesn't take any bandwidth to repost with a quote  :nfi: unless your ISP doesn't have a clue and doesn't have a cache for these images  :nfi:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 08:10:23 PM by naughty »

Offline mr_b

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2021, 08:11:29 PM »
... the member then feels the need to use the 'quote' function and repost all the photos just to say 'nice :thumbs:'.

While you correct that it's beyond annoying, the image files are not reposted, but reference the same asset on the server file system. Your browser also takes care of not wasting bandwidth by referencing the cached image when rendering the annoying quoted post.
It's not about the gear, it's about the music... ok ok... it about the gear... no no the music... buuuuuuttt... oh the gear..

Offline thenoizeguy

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2021, 08:11:53 PM »
It's so easy with Postimage.org. that some people find it easier to post a pic than actually cleaning or dusting the item they are selling.
With windows picture editor you can even use the eraser tool to fix your dented B&W tweeter and replace your Technics badges with something better.  :P
Expensive cables come in fancy silk lined wooden boxes to make you feel better about spending a fortune on them.

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2021, 08:47:06 PM »
I use postimage and it literally takes seconds from my phone.  Before I get accused of being a tech fundi, consider this:

1. I donít use cloud storage as it is a pain in the backside (and insecure)
2. I regularly spend ten minutes trying to work out where the heck things are on MSTeams and have no idea how to upload a file to it (I always have to ask for help)
3. I have a Skype meeting in three weeks which at least gives me a few weeks to find out how to get Skype on my computer, work out how to download and connect and hopefully will be able to get to the meeting (why canít people just use Zoom?)
4. To edit a word document I have to switch computers (this is dependent upon who sent me the document as my computer doesnít like some others and I cannot find out why)
5. I donít use apps (other than WhatsApp which I use as cheap calls and SMSs) as I find them confusing, thus I tried tapatalk but couldnít find a way to use it.

Donít be lazy, post pictures in a few steps:

a. Open postimage on a second phone browser whilst writing your add
b. Select take photo and take the photo
c. Click use photo
d. Click Ďcopy direct link
e. Back on your ad hit the Mona Lisa button
f. Paste the link that was copied to the clipboard between the first set of brackets and the second
g. Post your ad
When the sun is dying, we'll cross the causeway of no memory.....

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2021, 08:51:07 PM »
Like this:

Took 20 seconds
When the sun is dying, we'll cross the causeway of no memory.....

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2021, 08:57:35 PM »
It's so easy with Postimage.org. that some people find it easier to post a pic than actually cleaning or dusting the item they are selling.
With windows picture editor you can even use the eraser tool to fix your dented B&W tweeter and replace your Technics badges with something better. 
:clap:

Offline Tonteldoos

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2021, 10:38:01 PM »
I just did a quick check. At 22:25 on 23 Nov 2021.

I marked all the sales posts with no images (red crosses, in case that's not clear). I left the top and bottom posts in the screenshot for the sake of irony.

Half of the fun of the classifieds is to have a quick drool over the goodies on sale. It's a great way to procrastinate, distract, and liven up a dull conference call.

Have a heart, man. Post a pic.

Offline johan.pretorius

Why are there so many sales posts with no images?
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2021, 10:50:11 PM »

3. I have a Skype meeting in three weeks which at least gives me a few weeks to find out how to get Skype on my computer, work out how to download and connect and hopefully will be able to get to the meeting (why canít people just use Zoom?)

I hate Zoom, only use Skype, Teams and WhatsApp.

But Skype is not perfect either:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/31/21200844/microsoft-skype-zoom-houseparty-coronavirus-pandemic-usage-growth-competition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 10:52:17 PM by johan.pretorius »
There is no better idle time than Thorens time.

Offline XL1000

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2021, 05:27:11 AM »
I am all for a fixed rule that a for sale post Must have photos.
Personally I often go to a fair bit of trouble to stage, photograph from several angles and post.
I actually find it disrespectful to expect readers to have to Google your for sale item or message you just to get photos you could easily have uploaded in the first place. Mods, Iíd support a rule of no photo, no post.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato