Author Topic: Kamado braai  (Read 442 times)

Offline Clarity

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Junior Member
Kamado braai
« on: November 22, 2021, 06:05:52 PM »
Does anyone have any cooking experience with kamado style ceramic braai ovens ?
The two that seem to be available are , Big Green Egg and Kamado Joe. They are of a premium price but I'm told the results are very good.

When youíre creating your own ****, man, even the sky ainít the limit. M.Davis

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
Re: Kamado braai
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 08:25:58 PM »
Please post some pictures and links about the product.
That way it's mutually beneficial, others who do not know the product (like me) can learn and participate.

Music has no reason or rules, but emotion and joy. FB

Offline Clarity

• AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 10:51:19 PM »
I don't know how to post a picture on this forum, my apologies. It was really a question for people who already have familiarity with using them.

Offline Clarity

• AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 10:59:02 PM »
I'll take a look and see if my computer skills are capable enough to post a picture..

Online FranZAR

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 12:51:24 AM »
Exclamť 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|SP10|Moth Audio MK808|Sumiko Pearwood|AuraLic|Cardas|Sonor Claro

Offline shadow.clone

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 11:09:13 AM »
I've also been tempted by these. Kamado JAN is cheaper than Big Green Egg, but still not exactly cheap. Small Kamado JAN for reference: https://www.takealot.com/kamado-jan-jnr-ceramic-braai-grill-kit-red/PLID53865703

I'm happy for now with a Weber Kettle and small stainless steel smoking box.

Offline Clarity

• AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 09:58:09 PM »
I have read that they keep meat very moist, are very economical in terms of charcoal usage.  You can cook a leg of lamb slowly over many hours, to which sounds very desirable.  Or sear food at temperatures that are tandoori Temps, 550 Celsius. The concept seems to be steeped in history, in addition manageable regarding temperature control.

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 05:38:22 AM »
Not cheap...

https://www.biggreenegg.co.za/product-category/big-green-eggs/

R27k for a kettle braai.   :nutter:  Now that's a fine example of overcompensating. The same size Weber costs R2k. I'd love to know how an extra R25k is going to improve my braai skills?

Those are for the babies - "Large" green egg my foot. Big enough to cook for 2 people.

Equivalent of the normal size Weber (55cm) is the 61cm at R44k with stand.  :nutter:

If in doubt as to whether their prices are mad: a set of castors (1 locking, the other not) is a cool R1,000. They will cost you around R150 at Gelmar.  :ROFLMAO:

But as always, YMMV. May the smoke and fire be with you!  :thumbs:
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline Clarity

• AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 01:18:32 PM »
My question was related to how they cook as ceramic oven/ grills, rather than the cost. People pay far more for bicycle wheels these days.

Offline shadow.clone

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 04:48:55 PM »
R27k for a kettle braai.   :nutter:  Now that's a fine example of overcompensating. The same size Weber costs R2k. I'd love to know how an extra R25k is going to improve my braai skills?

Those are for the babies - "Large" green egg my foot. Big enough to cook for 2 people.

Equivalent of the normal size Weber (55cm) is the 61cm at R44k with stand.  :nutter:

If in doubt as to whether their prices are mad: a set of castors (1 locking, the other not) is a cool R1,000. They will cost you around R150 at Gelmar.  :ROFLMAO:

But as always, YMMV. May the smoke and fire be with you!  :thumbs:

It's definitely pricey, but what you say is apt for AV too. Just replace "kettle braai" in your post with "cables", "speakers", "vinyl", and so on.

I think any hobby can get pricey once you get into it. One just has to pick their poison and slowly desensitize themselves to the hefty prices involved.