Author Topic: Solar panel optimum mounting angle  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Sound Hound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
Re: Solar panel optimum mounting angle
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2021, 11:01:47 PM »
The obvious answer is perpendicular to the sun is the best.
In other words if you can track the sun that would be the most effective way to absorb energy.
At our latitude the average angle for both winter and summer I'd between 30 and 35 degrees.

Offline tiaand

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2021, 02:41:13 PM »
Depending on your setup, a good way to not worry about the angle too much is to add a few more panels. My installation has roughly 7kw panels for a 5kw charge controller inverter combination and it just helps that you use the max capacity of your equipment for the largest possible time of the day.

Offline lanties

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Cape Town - Bellville - Protea Valley
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2021, 04:03:34 PM »
Depending on your setup, a good way to not worry about the angle too much is to add a few more panels. My installation has roughly 7kw panels for a 5kw charge controller inverter combination and it just helps that you use the max capacity of your equipment for the largest possible time of the day.

100% agree
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2021, 02:45:32 PM »
My roof faces true north but at a flattish 7 tilt. I was told to mount flush for aesthetic and wind load considerations.  I found an online calculator (it may be the one Gerlach mentioned) that showed me losing on average 8-10% of efficiency. So I increased my panels from 12 to 14 and am smiling all the way.   
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass