Author Topic: Tidal Hifi and Tidal Hifi Plus  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Eish

Re: Tidal Hifi and Tidal Hifi Plus
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2021, 05:51:56 PM »
There are rules, and rules must be followed

Online Nidri

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2021, 09:54:17 PM »
Goldensound strikes again -

https://goldensound.audio/2021/11/29/tidal-hifi-is-not-lossless/

I can't wait for Qobuz to launch in South Africa so I can ditch Tidal.
Whilst Nidri takes reasonable care to ensure that the information in this message is correct and up to date, this might not always be the case. Nidri does not give any warranties as to the accuracy and safety of any information appearing in this message.

Offline Eish

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2021, 06:48:49 AM »
I can't wait for Qobuz to launch in South Africa so I can ditch Tidal.

If Amazon HD launches, I am gone too.  Also, if Apple integrates or introduces a way to send hi-res signals wirelessly - I am goner.  This last installment of Goldensound truly nails Tidal.

Offline floydthebarber71

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2021, 09:18:04 AM »
Nice to see there are other options to Tidal. I don't have many complaints about Tidal, except their search function is utterly horrendous. It might be a false impression, but I think the artists get a better cut on Tidal than other streaming services so that's another reason I'm on.

Offline Tonteldoos

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2021, 01:17:15 PM »
I keep reading all these highly technical articles on how rubbish Tidal and/or MQA are, and my ears keep telling me differently.

I haven't had the time to go test Spotify or Deezer, and I don't want to set up physical hardware just to run Roon.

My whole family uses an Apple Music family subscription, and I use it too. But I also have a personal subscription to Tidal.

When it comes to PC (while working), it's no contest: iTunes on PC does not support Apple Lossless - so Tidal works, and always sounds better than Itunes (YMMV).

When it comes to the phone, streaming Apple Lossless vs. streaming Tidal Hifi (I disabled MQA), it's no contest - Tidal sounds much better (YMMV). I've tried this on wired headphones, bluetooth headphones, Airpods Pro, streaming via Airplay to speakers - same result.

The other issue is that a lot of my Apple Music is downloaded to the phone in lower quality (for listening while travelling), so I would think you then listen in the downloaded format anyway.

I'm not religiously tied to Tidal, but I'll keep my subscription until I find something that is a) as easy to use and b) sounds as good.

Offline floydthebarber71

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2021, 01:36:09 PM »
I keep reading all these highly technical articles on how rubbish Tidal and/or MQA are, and my ears keep telling me differently.

I haven't had the time to go test Spotify or Deezer, and I don't want to set up physical hardware just to run Roon.

My whole family uses an Apple Music family subscription, and I use it too. But I also have a personal subscription to Tidal.

When it comes to PC (while working), it's no contest: iTunes on PC does not support Apple Lossless - so Tidal works, and always sounds better than Itunes (YMMV).

When it comes to the phone, streaming Apple Lossless vs. streaming Tidal Hifi (I disabled MQA), it's no contest - Tidal sounds much better (YMMV). I've tried this on wired headphones, bluetooth headphones, Airpods Pro, streaming via Airplay to speakers - same result.

The other issue is that a lot of my Apple Music is downloaded to the phone in lower quality (for listening while travelling), so I would think you then listen in the downloaded format anyway.

I'm not religiously tied to Tidal, but I'll keep my subscription until I find something that is a) as easy to use and b) sounds as good.

I've found the same. So far it's the best sounding to me from whatever other streaming services I've checked. I could hear the difference so it's my problem really.

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2021, 01:40:16 PM »

*snip*

*snip*

I assume you're talking streaming only? iTunes supports ALAC (m4a format) perfectly for music on my HDD and phone.
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline Tonteldoos

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2021, 03:31:56 PM »
I assume you're talking streaming only? iTunes supports ALAC (m4a format) perfectly for music on my HDD and phone.

Yup. And my work laptop is not connected to any home systems (besides it being a hack to keep servers running). And my phone is already creaking under the amount of music, cannot download lossless formats there.

But my direct comparisons have been streaming vs. streaming.

Offline johan.pretorius

Tidal Hifi and Tidal Hifi Plus
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2021, 06:50:41 PM »
Tidal streaming is working just fine for me (via a non-mqa DAC).

90% of the music I'm listening to, is available.

And:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 06:53:08 PM by johan.pretorius »
There is no better idle time than Thorens time.

Offline Eish

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2021, 11:15:02 PM »
Top artist gets R12 from you Hifi Plus sub.  This part is good.  Also the exclusive mode is good (both on the phone and PC).  The irony is that the one service provider that offers exclusive bitperfect mode is the one without bitperfect files.  The non-MQA files are bitperfect though and they constitute the majority.

I too will keep my Hifi Plus sub until an alternative is available.  Spotify Hifi is not that alternative.  I am not sure about Qobuz - if their library is good, perhaps, but pricing could be an issue.

Interestingly - I just got Chromecast With Google TV - I tested it and found it can play unfolded 48Khz/24 files as well as Atmos, so I have been experimenting a bit.  Still prefer the DAC but am happy having a choice.  But Atmos - not sure if you've had a chance to listen to it on an AVR - it takes getting used to. 

Offline Vinotinto81

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2021, 02:42:47 PM »

I have 3 subscription contracts and my ranking of sound quality is
Qobuz studio =>Tidal hifi plus (Frac)> Amazon music HD, so far.

As you know, both Qobuz and Tidal have its own tunes so i keep both contracts.
 Amazon HD is used by My family because of many “Anime” tunes are there. I want to terminate, but…

Offline Wolvebain

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2021, 04:28:07 PM »
Are in SA?If so, how did you get Qobuz setup?
I have 3 subscription contracts and my ranking of sound quality is
Qobuz studio =>Tidal hifi plus (Frac)> Amazon music HD, so far.

As you know, both Qobuz and Tidal have its own tunes so i keep both contracts.
 Amazon HD is used by My family because of many “Anime” tunes are there. I want to terminate, but…
A man can be destroyed but not defeated

Offline Vinotinto81

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2021, 05:11:53 PM »
I am in  Durban, SA.
Kindly PM to me.
I don’t know if it is proper to disclose it here.

Offline jvr

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2021, 07:32:28 PM »
Unless one has some or other specific generic set-up where a particular brand has teamed up with a particular streaming service, the easy plug and play ito lossless options are pretty restricted.

Tidal has that going for it when it comes to Android, but then its ? MQA tech comes into play. Deezer and Apple not so much, but there are work arounds (always relying on one more component / functionality).

Overall I think Apple's 24/48 lossless is the ideal. It's streamable, storable, sounds great for the lowest cost with the least hassle and compromises. *On paper at least.. I have yet to implement and test, the reason for not doing so being the transfer of playlists.. Why don't streaming services lure people with software solutions capable of doing that??

*PS. I do have many 24/48 Apple Lossless files that I used to listen to before streaming became the thing, and I am referring to it in that context.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 07:42:57 PM by jvr »
Lend me your ears

Offline Eish

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2021, 10:23:19 AM »
I am in  Durban, SA.
Kindly PM to me.
I don’t know if it is proper to disclose it here.

Sonofagringo !!  I have been considering "alternative ways" of getting Amazon HD.  You are spoiled for choice  :envy: .  Pricing for amazon and Qobuz -   :Ooooooh:  Your ranking was unexpected.