Author Topic: My intro and journey  (Read 596 times)

Offline Arc

My intro and journey
« on: November 15, 2021, 11:43:11 AM »
Hi everyone, Iím not really active on forums with regards to posting new threads, but I have had such an awesome experience on this forum that I decided to post an introduction and my HT journey.

I believe I fall within the ďyoungerĒ demographic of this forum and my journey might be interesting or helpful to newcomers. I was more into gaming and PCís but it has reached a point where I have done everything I wanted and decided to take on a new hobby which I always wanted to do, but were out of my financial means.

Probably around 20 years ago, I went with my dad to one of his friends and this friend had a B&W home theatre setup, and one of those massive CRT/plasma? TVís from that time. I remember him playing Hotel California from the Hell Freezes Over DVD and I was amazed at how good audio could sound. That memory stayed with me, and everything thereafter sounded bad to me. (Keep in mind I didnít get an opportunity to listen to anything decent, mostly systems from Game, like LGís and Samsung and Sony)

Later when I was in varsity, my sister got a nice bursary and decided to by a nice HT setup from the local ďaudio expertsĒ store in Potchefstroom. I do not recall the model numbers, but is was a Mordaunt-Short 5.0, Cambridge Audio AVR and probably the cheapest Velodyne sub available. I sounded okay, but never came close to that B&W memory of mine. Now in retrospect, Iím sure there were a lot I could have done to make that setup sound better like the source material, but we were complete noobs.

Forward another few years later, I needed a new Headset for my gaming and my brother told me to get proper headphones. At that time he had an AKG 712 pro with an O2 amp and DAC I believe? He suggested Beyerdynamic DT990 proís with a Fiio Q1 Amp/Dac as this was just within my budget. This was a great buy and I still love these headphones. I will never ever buy ďgaming headsetsĒ again.

Now, Iíve always wanted to start my speaker setup with a B&W 685 S2ís, and I started to browse this forum to see if I could find a decent deal. Budget was and still is the major factor for me when it comes to my hobbies, and I have to find the best possible with a small budget. Anyway, I came across some of the member feedbacks regarding Bentleys and when I saw the prices, I knew I would finally be able to start my HT journey.

I got a pair of FR100ís from the Facebook Market Place for cheap, luckily I wasnít scammed, and still required an amp to drive them. At the time I wasnít really ready to purchase but had to get the speakers at least since I thought it was such a good deal. I was so excited to actually hear them so drove straight to a friend of mine who had one of those Sony 6.2 systems you could get from Game. We hooked up the Fr100ís on his amp and I couldnít stop smiling as my memory of the B&Wís came back to me. I didnít want to leave but had to eventually. Now I had the bookshelves without any speaker stands or a TV unit nor did I have an amp.
One month later it was December, and I got a little bonus and it was time to finally get my own setup. I enquired on the forum with regards to which AVR I should look at, because at my price point there were so many options. I received a dm from @juventino stating that he might have what Iím looking for. He was so helpful and even had speaker stands for me. I got a Yamaha RXA 820 in immaculate condition from him. From his place I went to @Stormy Norman to get a B&W ASW608 at another great price which I couldnít pass by. I was broke after these purchases but man did I enjoy that December. This was a year ago.

Since then, Iíve incrementally upgraded my system starting with rears. Iíve seen a lot of reviews from Zeos (Zreviews) back when I was looking at headphones and he said that he doesnít use a centre channel and that a phantom centre is better. Keeping in mind my budget again, I could get rears or a centre. I enquired directly from Mr Bentley with regards to the FR50ís as he was closest to me. He was unavailable and referred me to Morne @BiZKiT. Iíve been to Morne a few times since and he is always enthusiastic and passionate about HT and audio and always able to assist. I got to listen to a few demoís which were awesome and a walked out with a pair of FR50ís and Linx cables and plugs.

Iíve dealt with a few more member over the year, got a centre channel FC100, upgrade to a FC150, upgraded the FR100ís to FS110ís and got an Epson TW9100. The projector I got from @agies  and as with everyone I dealt with on this forum, he exceeded my expectation. I really wanted that projector but it wasnít yet pay day for me so I had to wait a few weeks. Agies had no problem reserving the PJ form me with a small deposit. BTW, the PJ was the best upgrade in my opinion.

There is a lot I can write about the technical aspects and challenges I faced during the upgrades and everything I had to learn along the way, some of the lessons were learned the hard way. I will post this experience should there be interest therein. (from source issues being a media server, streamers, codecs, cables, PJ chip calibration, DIY PJ screen ect.)

Inconclusion then, as I said at the start, Iím not too talkative in forums and more of a lurker, but my experiences with the members here were absolutely amazing and by far better than what Iíve experienced on other forums. Thank You

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+105)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
Re: My intro and journey
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 11:54:25 AM »
Beautiful man.  :clap: Welcome to the forum.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when youíve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Dreamerm6

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 06:47:47 PM »
Always a pleasure reading such nice stories, thats what HIFI is all about!

Offline durandviljoen

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 10:21:25 PM »
Would love to contact u. Looking at the fr100 but very unsure as i am iŮ the same path you are now an need to diside in a week🙄

Offline Den123

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 10:24:21 PM »
Welcome Arc. Nice to have you here.

Offline Larry

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 08:22:13 AM »
Nice to have you hear Arc, and a nice summary of your journey thus far.

I'm afraid its early days yet for your cheque account.......  :BWAHAHAH:

Offline Curlycat

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 07:53:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum @Arc

I enjoyed reading about your journey, I am sure as have many other members. Your post brought back many pleasant memories. And yes, the FR100's are gems.

There is a lot I can write about the technical aspects and challenges I faced during the upgrades and everything I had to learn along the way, some of the lessons were learned the hard way. I will post this experience should there be interest therein. (from source issues being a media server, streamers, codecs, cables, PJ chip calibration, DIY PJ screen ect.)

Please post, young or old, noobs or experts... you can always teach an old dog new tricks.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 07:56:37 PM by Curlycat »
Music has no reason or rules, but emotion and joy. FB

Offline Arc

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 09:15:28 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, @Larry I know exactly what you mean, there is always something to upgrade and sometimes there is just such nice deals that I can't let it pass me by xD.

@durandviljoen You are welcome to DM me and I can share my more in depth experience with you.

Offline Arc

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 09:18:09 AM »
@Larry Also, I just saw the video @BiZKiT made about Auro-3D, my wallet is crying already, but going to be a while before I actually can pull the trigger on a setup like that.