Author Topic: Rotel RCD-955ax error  (Read 533 times)

Offline JohnnyIC

Rotel RCD-955ax error
« on: November 11, 2021, 09:58:24 PM »
I picked up a rather nice old Rotel RCD-955ax cdp today, it is in really good cosmetic condition but when I insert a disc it sounds like it wants to start spinning but stops and gives an "error" message one the display. I already cleaned the laser/lens but this doesn't appear to have improved anything, could it have shifted out of alignment due to improper transportation or is there anything else I should look at? I'm not sure if it would be worth it to have the laser replaced on one of these..  :nfi:

Offline JohnnyIC

Re: Rotel RCD-955ax error
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 07:42:51 AM »
This would probably get more attention under the digital section, can a mod or admin please move my post there?  :pray:

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+180)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 10:07:03 AM »
If the laser is not generating sufficient reflected data, you will get the error described.

Depending on the make and model of the transport, replacements are available.  But as always it is the cost of the item.  Replacing a laser assembly is not difficult
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline JohnnyIC

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 03:59:40 PM »
If the laser is not generating sufficient reflected data, you will get the error described.

Depending on the make and model of the transport, replacements are available.  But as always it is the cost of the item.  Replacing a laser assembly is not difficult

Thanks.  :thumbs: A quick google search came up with this images, looks exactly like the one inside my Rotel. Any idea where in SA I can start looking for a replacement?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+180)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline JohnnyIC

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 05:39:31 PM »

Online Family_Dog

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 07:49:47 PM »
I had an old Sony CDP that started doing this, I got hold of a service manual and reset the laser focus which had somehow drifted. That was 15 years ago and the CDP is still doing sterling service to this day.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline JohnnyIC

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 07:54:09 AM »
I had an old Sony CDP that started doing this, I got hold of a service manual and reset the laser focus which had somehow drifted. That was 15 years ago and the CDP is still doing sterling service to this day.

-F_D

It's worth a try, I'll have a look if I can download the service manual and give it a try.  :thumbs:

Offline ludo

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 04:39:30 AM »
Before you touch the pots, there is a 47uF cap on the laser supply that goes vrot with these laser mechanisms. I think it sits under the transport. It is probably the one that connects to pin 17 of the TDA8808 IC. My schematic is quite fuzzy but it could be C112.

Replace that (and maybe sommer all the other electrolytics you find there while you're at it) and it might just work again.

If it does, these things are very tweakable and beg for nice opamps and a good dose of snake oil on the DAC output filter etc etc.
If it 's going vrot, put it on the buffet ! - Fats