Author Topic: If i can use this to clean tape recorder heads  (Read 450 times)

Offline exodec

If i can use this to clean tape recorder heads
« on: November 07, 2021, 09:08:32 PM »
Hi everybody. Found this CD cleaning solution i bought long time ago. Anybody know if i can use this thing to clean my reel to reel tape recorder heads? Thanks a lot!

通过我的 Redmi K30 Pro 上的 Tapatalk发言

Full Class A as a Naturally Aspritaed! Vinyl and Tube are always the Best!

Offline naughty

Re: If i can use this to clean tape recorder heads
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 10:01:16 PM »
if you don't know what it is i wouldn't recommend using it on a different task - try and see if its some type of medical/Isopropyl alcohol and IMHO if you are not sure - go to a pharmacy and buy some Isopropyl alcohol and earbuds and use those to clean your tape heads just to be safe - and keep this to use as a CD solution - also if its very old just be careful - because who knows what the aging process did to it  :nfi:

to be honest if i did not know what its made off i would rather throw it away than risk damaging the heads on a reel to reel machine ...... why throw good money behind bad? if it says that its some form of alcohol then its fine for using on cleaning tape heads ..... it might be marked on the container .... if not then IMHO don't take a risk because some cleaning stuff might not be good for the rollers (made of rubber or plastic) etc on a tape head and roller
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 10:05:21 PM by naughty »

Offline exodec

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 11:39:57 AM »
Thanks for your reply Naughty. These are more pictures. I think this thing exactly cann't use pinch roller.

Offline naughty

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 12:00:06 PM »
Thanks for your reply Naughty. These are more pictures. I think this thing exactly cann't use pinch roller.

actually it just states isopropyl alcohol - so you can actually use it - thats the thing you need to use to clean tape heads  :thumbs: - in theory it should work but we don't know what else is added to it ..... unless these guys just filled the fancy looking bottle with only isopropyl alcohol and charged extra for it

but it seems to be the right thing so it should be okay to use - the close-up pic confirms that it should work on the heads at least 

Offline exodec

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 09:03:24 PM »
Thanks a lot Naughty.