Where is the weakest link when things get big?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alternativeroute

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Following from the following thread...

Ampdog said:
Also, I seem to have been the only one left with an impression that intermodulation distortion appeared as soon as the passages became 'heavy'. It was quite evident (to me) during the Orff (Carmina Burana) and later as well. I even played my own recording (different source) when back home to check ....

alternativeroute said:
I have this problem with the few systems I have had or heard... Where is the weak link? speakers? cables? amplifier? source?

alternativeroute said:
I have this problem with the few systems I have had or heard... Where is the weak link? speakers? cables? amplifier? source?

Hennie said:
I think it's the speakers most of the time, but I can't be too sure. At least some of the time it seems to be in the recording. All I know if I use better and better headphones and keep the volume levels lower, I seem to hear less of it.

This can be a fascinating topic in its own right, so if there's more interest in this, please split into a new thread.

Any pointers would be appreciated...