Author Topic: Ok, how much power can get for 20K (ZAR)?  (Read 925 times)

Offline naushaad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Ok, how much power can get for 20K (ZAR)?
« on: November 05, 2021, 12:03:25 PM »
Hi

What can I get for about 20K (ZAR) during  blackouts slots (aka load shedding).

There are so many different products and kwik fixes, its confusing.

Please share what you have implemented and what you are able to run during these slots, around the 20k budget. Maybe even some of the pitfalls and upgrade prospects.

I am currently only using a mini UPS to run the fibre box, router and access point which works well  (cost R850)

Many thanks

Offline Gohde

• AVForums Member
Re: Ok, how much power can get for 20K (ZAR)?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 01:16:49 PM »
We approached the issue of power outages from a different calculation: producing solar power that will pay for the investment in several years, and not being affected by load shedding is a bonus.

For us this was mostly motivated by two major fires in a substation (3 years apart), which led to week long outage each that can not be covered by any backup battery that doesn’t get recharged by generated energy. So we spent more than R20k (quite a lot more) but we will getting money back in about 5 years (with current electricity cost).

A smaller backup will help run some parts of the home, but is similar to a generator I guess, storing energy in a battery rather than petrol. We used a generator before (bought during the second substation fire and outage), and it helped with fridges and lights and internet while running. It’s noisy. But if it runs out you can top it up.

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 07:31:57 PM »
1. Generator. Noisy, expensive to run and needs regular servicing.

2. Inverter/charger with about a 200AH LifePo4 battery. (my choice)

3. Solar will be out of the price bracket.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 07:36:06 PM by Curlycat »

Offline naushaad

• AVForums Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 09:25:46 AM »

Thanks,

I think I will be going the inverter route (will look at LiFePO4). I just need to power some small appliances. Looking at an option where I can add a couple of small  solar panels just to assist with topping up the battery when not being used.

I received a quotation for solar, It would be my first choice  but at this stage it does not justify the capital outlay considering my monthly bill. I am hoping that the price (comes down) and technology progresses further in a short space of time, which seems to be happening.

Any recommendations as to who I could contact  for inverter/charger bundles? There are  so many new businesses popping all over. Here today gone tomorrow.

Offline andredt

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 04:51:33 PM »
3KW AC inverter and 2.4kw lithium battery you can always expand.
My Advice get a 5KW inverter around R12500 and one 2.4KW lithium battery and build on it.
For the love of music.
B&W Rotel Marantz Yamaha Micro Seiki

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 07:23:27 PM »

Thanks,

I think I will be going the inverter route (will look at LiFePO4). I just need to power some small appliances. Looking at an option where I can add a couple of small  solar panels just to assist with topping up the battery when not being used.

I received a quotation for solar, It would be my first choice  but at this stage it does not justify the capital outlay considering my monthly bill. I am hoping that the price (comes down) and technology progresses further in a short space of time, which seems to be happening.

Any recommendations as to who I could contact  for inverter/charger bundles? There are  so many new businesses popping all over. Here today gone tomorrow.

Contact @Gerlach he should be able to point you in all the right directions.

Offline andredt

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 05:49:10 AM »
Rubicon has lots of stock and branches in all the major metros.
For the love of music.
B&W Rotel Marantz Yamaha Micro Seiki

Offline JoziNic

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 10:11:07 PM »
3KW AC inverter and 2.4kw lithium battery you can always expand.
My Advice get a 5KW inverter around R12500 and one 2.4KW lithium battery and build on it.
Considering a 5kw inverter + a 2.4kw lithium battery. Including installation what are you in for here? R20k?
Being very much a complete Noob here but seriously considering taking the plunge

And 5kw should power laptops/internet/plugs excluding kettles/heaters & aircons? (Possibly oven/microwave aswell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline shadow.clone

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 12:00:46 AM »
I've found that 3kW is plenty. 2 PCs running Warzone and misc. electronics doesn't even break 1kW. Adding a Jura coffee machine to the mix (only in a bind and with the PCs idling) momentarily pushes it up to about 2kW.

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 06:44:20 AM »
Rubicon has lots of stock and branches in all the major metros.

They running short on Panels like big time. Even Segen is running short and waiting for shipping mid Des and mid Jan, and they have informed that the prices is going up.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

It's really fun to scare people. (Sabine Schmitz 14.05.1969 - 15.03.2021) RIP