Remote setup option for playing local HD files

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floydthebarber71

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I am hoping someone here has some advice or personal experience with this! I have a dedicated PC setup in my lounge that cannot be moved. I have high-res audio files on the PC that I play with Jriver and a headphone/amp/dac setup.

But I also have a DAC and speakers setup at my TV, which is across the lounge from the PC. I do like to play a lot of my music through the speakers, but routing a cable means 10m+ (!!) of extra cable around the outside walls to the PC whenever I want to hook it up. I am currently using some stock standard 10m active USB cable extension, and then a short USB A to B that connects to the DAC and amp.

I know this sucks for quality, so I want to try find out a better option that I could have those files close to the TV setup without the need for the cables which is an unnecessary weak link in this chain? Is it easy enough to set up a Raspberry Pi with a hard drive containing my files, and then connect to the DAC directly? Jriver is super easy for me to use on the PC and controlling with the mobile app, does anyone know of similar players or controllers on something like a Pi? I know nothing about Pis etc, so I have very little idea on what's possible and what would be limiting.

Or maybe I'm missing something super simple..

Cheers!!