Author Topic: Remote setup option for playing local HD files  (Read 401 times)

Offline floydthebarber71

Remote setup option for playing local HD files
« on: November 04, 2021, 11:12:59 AM »
Hi there!

I am hoping someone here has some advice or personal experience with this! I have a dedicated PC setup in my lounge that cannot be moved. I have high-res audio files on the PC that I play with Jriver and a headphone/amp/dac setup.

But I also have a DAC and speakers setup at my TV, which is across the lounge from the PC. I do like to play a lot of my music through the speakers, but routing a cable means 10m+ (!!) of extra cable around the outside walls to the PC whenever I want to hook it up. I am currently using some stock standard 10m active USB cable extension, and then a short USB A to B that connects to the DAC and amp.

I know this sucks for quality, so I want to try find out a better option that I could have those files close to the TV setup without the need for the cables which is an unnecessary weak link in this chain? Is it easy enough to set up a Raspberry Pi with a hard drive containing my files, and then connect to the DAC directly? Jriver is super easy for me to use on the PC and controlling with the mobile app, does anyone know of similar players or controllers on something like a Pi? I know nothing about Pis etc, so I have very little idea on what's possible and what would be limiting.

Or maybe I'm missing something super simple..

Cheers!!

Online FranZAR

Re: Remote setup option for playing local HD files
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 11:33:56 AM »
JRiver picks up all audio players on your network so if your TV is on your network you should be able to add it as a zone in JRiver and play directly to it from the PC.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Exclamé 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|SP10|Moth Audio MK808|Sumiko Pearwood|AuraLic|Cardas|Sonor Claro

Offline floydthebarber71

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 12:22:53 PM »
JRiver picks up all audio players on your network so if your TV is on your network you should be able to add it as a zone in JRiver and play directly to it from the PC.

So play it via WiFi? Will there not be any processing through the TV at all? If I play a 192kHz file on Jriver on my PC and send it to the TV via WiFi, will that translate to the same signal (I am using an optical out from the TV to the DAC) that the DAC processes only? I'm just suspicious of adding the TV into the chain and destroying the signal :) and suspicious of any non-wired connection somehow lol

Online FranZAR

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 01:55:17 PM »
You will have to play around and test. I can play to a few Heos devices in different locations from JRiver and they play up to DSD: 2.8MHz without any issues. They automatically pop up as different zones under "Players". You can also play different music in each zone or combine all into one zone.

Exclamé 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|SP10|Moth Audio MK808|Sumiko Pearwood|AuraLic|Cardas|Sonor Claro

Offline floydthebarber71

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 03:37:26 PM »
You will have to play around and test. I can play to a few Heos devices in different locations from JRiver and they play up to DSD: 2.8MHz without any issues. They automatically pop up as different zones under "Players". You can also play different music in each zone or combine all into one zone.

Interesting, thanks! I'll take a look at that.

Offline floydthebarber71

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 02:44:57 PM »
I tried connecting direct to the TV via Jriver. I'm not convinced that the TV is relaying the exact same signal into the DAC...the options within Jriver are also very limited when streaming. I can't EQ at all, so the sound is very flat from just EQ alone.

I'll try to read up on how to get around all this. Wired the DAC up to USB and it was instantly better, so need to figure that out.

Otherwise will have to still try and get a 'remote' setup with a wired connection at the DAC itself...