Author Topic: Denafrips Ares II DAC very strange behaviour  (Read 2189 times)

Offline lanties

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Cape Town - Bellville - Protea Valley
Re: Denafrips Ares II DAC very strange behaviour
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 06:49:15 PM »
Nope - USB or I2S only.

This is where it shows that I have been away from audio for a while. I have not come across I2S before. It does not seem that this DAC support I2S or am I mistaken? If so how would I connect it to an INTEL NUC?

The attraction of this DAC is the Native DSD support. My Vivere only supports DOP. Stills sounds great though.

Lets hope we can get this sorted on USB
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2021, 06:57:53 PM »
Ares II does not support I2S so you are going to have to use USB, of which the Ares has an excellent implementation.
I2S uses HDMI connectors.

Offline GradoMan

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2021, 06:58:45 PM »
Only the higher end models, Pontus, Venus and Terminator has I˛S

Offline lanties

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2021, 07:06:03 PM »
Ares II does not support I2S so you are going to have to use USB, of which the Ares has an excellent implementation.
I2S uses HDMI connectors.

I don't doubt that it is an excellent implementation but let's hope they can sort this problem on their USB out.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Offline Yossarian

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2021, 07:22:41 PM »
Is the issues present when you use over sampling and non oversampling filters?

Not sure if it’s in anyway related but a reviewer (golden sound) picked up some odd behaviour on the non over sampling filter where it was actually over sampling but then also doing something strange to sine wave?

Might help you can Google golden sound ares 2 review

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2021, 07:35:58 PM »
Also tried it,could not replicate it using Coax digital (my preference) - JRiver, Juli@ soundcard 24/192, Audio GD Reclocker, Denafrips II. I have zero problems with my high frequencies at all. I have an extremely wide and deep soundstage, with excellent imaging specificity, any anomalies will be heard. I like what this little dac does.

Will have to try higher rez files tomorrow via my laptop, JRiver, USB, Denafrips...., and revert.

Interesting, let's hear what Alvin and his colleagues comes up with.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 07:42:16 PM by AlleyCat »
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline lanties

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2021, 07:47:47 PM »
Also tried it,could not replicate it using Coax digital (my preference) - JRiver, Juli@ soundcard 24/192, Audio GD Reclocker, Denafrips II. I have zero problems with my high frequencies at all. I have an extremely wide and deep soundstage, with excellent specificity, any anomalies will be heard. I like what this little dac does.

Will have to try higher rez files tomorrow via my laptop, JRiver, USB, Denafrips...., and revert.

Interesting, let's hear what Alvin and his colleagues comes up with.

Thank you for testing Allan. The problem seems to be specify to USB. The files that I have tested are standard CD quality over USB. The issue is very pronounced. You will hear it instantly if you have the same problem.

@Yossarian Thank you for the reference. At a quick glance it appears that he has stumbled accross the same problem and ascribe it to some DSP implementation. I find it odd that they will have different outputs (DSP algorithms) depending on audio path other than it being a bug.

Offline lanties

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2021, 01:09:58 PM »
Just a quick update for those who may be interested in this.

Alvin (VINSHINE AUDIO) has responded via email. He will set up a test system in the next couple of days to see if he can duplicate the problem and revert back. He has all the files and info that I have sent him.

This in itself is very positive.

Offline XL1000

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2021, 02:44:12 PM »
Indeed it is...phew.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2021, 04:50:13 PM »
Just a quick update for those who may be interested in this.

Alvin (VINSHINE AUDIO) has responded via email. He will set up a test system in the next couple of days to see if he can duplicate the problem and revert back. He has all the files and info that I have sent him.

This in itself is very positive.

Good customer service so far, I'm most interested to see how this pans out.

Offline roddy100

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2021, 05:24:59 PM »
The Matrix Audio x-spdif has “buffered” whatever is affecting the USB input on the Ares.

So how much impact does the Matrix Audio device have on music playback? Reason I ask, never seen any mention of one locally. I note that Lumous Audio now have these on offer. Any user experience would be welcome. And of course if this is a method of addressing the Ares issue then others may also be interested.

Offline lanties

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2021, 06:00:33 PM »
The Matrix Audio x-spdif has “buffered” whatever is affecting the USB input on the Ares.

So how much impact does the Matrix Audio device have on music playback? Reason I ask, never seen any mention of one locally. I note that Lumous Audio now have these on offer. Any user experience would be welcome. And of course if this is a method of addressing the Ares issue then others may also be interested.

In my opinion this only sidesteps the problem. SPDIF has a limit of 192kHz. Obviously this very good but if you want to play native DSD then anything from native DSD to SPDIF will be a down sampled creating some new potential for "issues".

The strange thing this problem occurs with standard CD quality PCM files. I have been looking at all sorts of ideas including DENAFRIPS DDC equipment etc. It however feels like I am trying to butcher something to work that should have worked in the first place.

However given all said I have been listening to this DAC almost non stop today and it sounds great. It is just this thing in my mind that I have measured and heard something that should not be there. Something seen cannot be unseen

Offline Zealot

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2021, 09:47:18 AM »
Will we see the Vivere in the classifieds soon :)

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2021, 09:53:41 AM »
Lanties, sorry haven't got to the DSD test yet. I have a fair amount of SACD's , a good number of Dsf/Iso/etc, content, however my collection of files below 24/192 is much larger and although I have an excellent usb cable, I still prefer my coax digital set up.

The physical PT and having to create a space for my laptop just to access the Hi-rez files is imho not really worth it. To impress some friends yes, long term, not. I can easily live without it - 16/44 - 24/192 is ok by me, and like you, vinyl still has a big spot to fill.

I still use my Meridian cd player/transport when the need arises and I don't even have a streamer anymore.

Will still do the test though (as it's interesting and I'm also curious).

Lastly, as you also concur, this dac generates great sound and I have not let any of the "distractions" of the measurement brigade get in the way of my listening pleasure (name an awesome product that one cannot find fault with? Not heard of).
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline stereosane

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2021, 06:00:30 PM »
Found this review with measurements. They also picked up some strange issues..not sure if they are different to what you picked up.

https://goldensound.audio/2021/07/13/denafrips-ares-2-measurements-and-review/