Denafrips Ares II DAC very strange behaviour

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanties

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Morning All,

I recently purchased an Ares II second hand but in basically brand new condition. I am in the process of consolidating a bunch of my audio equipment and this sounded like it may be a very good upgrade to my now 2013 Vivere DAC. I have played some music through the Ares and it generally sounds good. I will reserve final judgement when all my new equipment is in place. There is a VA Predator on the way.  I have other audio issues at the moment including an amp where the output channels do not match 100%.

It is in testing these channels that I pulled out the old Omnimic with updated software to do some impulse response graphs that I noticed this strange behaviour. In playing short sine sweeps via ROON->NUC Linux RAAT Bridge -> AresII dac I noticed a heavy  progressive roll-off of high frequencies to the point where it almost goes into a damp mode and then it resets again and starts sounding fine again just to repeat the process over.

I cannot simulate this behaviour with my Vivere. I have done all the cable and port swaps imaginable. I have also had it in NOS/OS mode with fast and slow roll-off and the only consistent issue is the Ares. It feels like it maybe a timing issue but I maybe 100% wrong with this as well.

Any advice will be  much appreciated.