DAC upgrade talk and USB/optical options from PC

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floydthebarber71

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hello!

A 2-part post.

So I'm looking to splurge a bit in my desktop PC setup where I listen to hires audio files via headphones. I've had Audio Technica ATH M50s for 10y+ or something, and been playing around trying to find a decent DAC. Currently using a dongle DAC (Audirect Beam, which is damn amazing for what it is). I tried a Schiit Bifrost which had a bit too clinical and cold of a sound for me, but it paired nicely with my speakers so that's currently hooked up there. Using a hybrid headphone amp as well (Millet Hybrid MiniMax).

I'm looking for a change of headphones, but that's for another topic. What I really want as a priority is a decent desktop DAC that will neatly sit with the headphone amp. I'm travelling to UK soon, so I thought it would be a good time to try shop around and target something second hand on ebay. Or find something here. I'm looking in the range of Schiit Modi 3 or MB, Audio GD R2R11. Someone recommended to me a Burson Playmate 2, or Topping D30 Pro. I've always leaned towards something more neutral sounding, but think it's time for something with more pop/punch for my rock music listening. I end up tweaking the EQ anyway lol.

The main questions regarding those are....what's with the crazy divide with multibit and guys thinking it's rubbish/snake oil, and others loving it? Personal preference? I've never had a chance to listen to this myself. Also the Audio GD 11, I've never seen such divided opinions on that. Is it because the quality control could be bad between unit to unit? Okes are so hung up on frequency graphs and whatnot, sho. I also don't know where the Burson fits in, but my buddy swears by his. Would love opinions from guys with experience on these, or any DACs related in that sort of price range!

Then the second question I have is getting the best signal out my PC. I'm using USB for now, but seen plenty talk about optical being better and cleaner. How would I play my music files on my PC via optical and get it to the DAC untouched? My motherboard outputs optical signal (MSI Mortar Max B450 mobo), but that's going through the motherboard processing of audio isn't it? It won't be the source digital signal? I guess there's more money I need to throw at this, isn't there?

Cheers!
Z