Author Topic: Connection help  (Read 425 times)

Offline Revv

Connection help
« on: October 30, 2021, 09:33:37 PM »
Hi, looking for a bit of expertise (that I don't have) here...

I have a NAD D1050 DAC/Headphone amp which has optical, coax and USB digital inputs. All my music is stored on a NAS, and I use Roon on a iPad mini as a player interface.

I am wondering is it possible to feed the NAD directly via ethernet using an ethernet to USB adapter?

If that wouldn't work, what would be the best way without having to purchase another streaming device (that usually has a DAC in anyway)?

Online FranZAR

Re: Connection help
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 02:07:24 AM »
No, the D1050 is a DAC only. You will need to feed from a source. PC, CD player, streamer etc.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Exclamé 150|Whisper|Croak SL1200|SP10|Moth Audio MK808|Sumiko Pearwood|AuraLic|Cardas|Sonor Claro

Offline naughty

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 02:57:26 AM »
Hi, looking for a bit of expertise (that I don't have) here...

I have a NAD D1050 DAC/Headphone amp which has optical, coax and USB digital inputs. All my music is stored on a NAS, and I use Roon on a iPad mini as a player interface.

I am wondering is it possible to feed the NAD directly via ethernet using an ethernet to USB adapter?

If that wouldn't work, what would be the best way without having to purchase another streaming device (that usually has a DAC in anyway)?

you can get yourself a cheap PC ie microservers second hand run from around R1500 to R2500 and you will still be able to use your Roon interface and run from the PCs USB to the Nad DAC inputs

i use my microserver not only as the control PC with an operating system but also add the music on drives inside the rest of the storage bays - so that for R2500 approx i had myself the complete source prior to the DAC (without the additional hard drives for the music storage)

a cheap pre-owned laptop or even a newish cheapie celeron model may also work and still allow you to interface through Roon

not sure if the usual Raspberry pi type devices will allow Roon or not because i never used those but if they do work i'm sure someone with experience of that will let you know

PS in my setup i never used Roon or much paid for software - i was happy to run my setup through Foobar2000 for absolutely free

Offline Revv

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 06:08:14 AM »
Thanks for the advice, that's sort of what I thought, so definitely need a streaming device to get the data to the DAC.... just one more question though, I also use a Cambridge Audio DAC/Streamer/Pre-amp (851N) that receives it's data via ethernet (amongst other ways), is the stream of data that is transferred from the NAS to the streamer in a format that the DAC can convert to audio, or does the streaming portion of the device, modify the stream of data (in my case .flac files) to a format that the DAC understands?

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+180)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 07:37:06 AM »
See if you can get a Fiio BTR5 DAC.   About R2000.  Otherwise, NuPrime DACs appear for sale now and then for a similar price
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Wolvebain

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 11:06:28 PM »
RoPieee running on a Raspberry Pi was made for this purpose..
RoPieee Beginner’s Guide: https://codexwilkes.com/downloads/ropieee-guide-for-beginners.pdf

you can get yourself a cheap PC ie microservers second hand run from around R1500 to R2500 and you will still be able to use your Roon interface and run from the PCs USB to the Nad DAC inputs

i use my microserver not only as the control PC with an operating system but also add the music on drives inside the rest of the storage bays - so that for R2500 approx i had myself the complete source prior to the DAC (without the additional hard drives for the music storage)

a cheap pre-owned laptop or even a newish cheapie celeron model may also work and still allow you to interface through Roon

not sure if the usual Raspberry pi type devices will allow Roon or not because i never used those but if they do work i'm sure someone with experience of that will let you know

PS in my setup i never used Roon or much paid for software - i was happy to run my setup through Foobar2000 for absolutely free
A man can be destroyed but not defeated

Offline naughty

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 12:10:42 AM »
RoPieee running on a Raspberry Pi was made for this purpose..
RoPieee Beginner’s Guide: https://codexwilkes.com/downloads/ropieee-guide-for-beginners.pdf

this is probably the most cost effective way to do it  :thumbs: given that you want to stick to using Roon - and if you have some techie experience it probably wont be too hard to run if you already know your way around Roon