Listening Room Acoustics

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colonel66

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
So I am about to embark on a new hifi adventure, finally getting round to doing something about my room acoustics. To little attention is paid to the room and speaker placement therein (IMO). 

You may recall that I imported  XTZ measurement suite a while ago (sold the extras on the forum), to get an objective handle on what is happening in my listening room. This has been a great help in aiding speaker placement to get as even a LF in room response as possible. 

Another superb resource (IMO) is the book "Get Better Sound". The speaker placement technique described therein is labour intensive but well worth the time and effort. Google and spend the USD50. There is no more effective money spent than on this book. Better sound than from say a cable upgrade. 

I think I have done a pretty good job of setting up my speakers but now want to sort out room acoustics. I have done a lot of inter web searching and researching. Whilst there are lots of options out there I did not want to import stuff and not get a desired result. Also from an aesthetic perspective although I have a dedicated listening room I do not want a room that resembles a recording studio which is what all the vendors seem to punt. 

On the local front I have done some searching to but also struck  out as could only  find the usual panel suspects (not suspect panels).  

Huge thanks to forum member Georgev who through  some email exchanges put me in touch with Matt Carter at EIB Automation/Matter Acoustics. George in turn got the heads up from Philip of Vivid Audio (could one get a better reference?) I have never come across Matt or his company before - he does have a low profile. 

I popped round to Matt's showroom last Friday morning and was very impressed. Had a long chat about acoustics etc. They custom build everything from diffusers, absorbers, reflectors.   Their demo HT room is the best I have experienced - though I care not much for HT. 

So step 1 is that Matt is coming round tonight to take some measurements with the view of coming up with a customised  proposal. So it will be interesting to see how his measurements compare to mine and what he comes up with. He will either confirm my speaker placement (phew) or show me up (humble pies all round). Either way I cant wait.

Latest posts