12 Predictions for the future of music

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpletonion

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I've long enjoyed Ted Gioia's 'takes' on the music industry and thought I'd drop this here for those forumites who, like me, find this sort of thing entertaining.

https://tedgioia.substack.com/p/12-predictions-for-the-future-of

A few comments:

1. Some of these 'predictions' are existing trends - hello, Bob Dylan.

2. In my view Ted takes too dim a view of the interplay between tech-innovation and creativity which is often complementary to superstar generation - Twenty years after Gillian Welch first sang "everything is free now" we still have Billie Eilish.

3. Re-investment doesn't strike me as the best measure of growth in the music industry - so what if profits accrue to big tech companies? Investment in artists today doesn't look like it did a few decades ago.

4. It would be useful to have hard data on 'pay' in the music business, but it seems that big tech platforms expand the opportunities to earn an income from creative outputs (and web 3 will only propel this) - even ancillary media has become democratised: who could've foreseen the rise of the reaction video and the likes of Rick Beato?

Latest posts