Audio and Video Talk > Computers & Networking

Question : Router to gigabit Hub connection

(1/2) > >>

CAD:
Hello chaps.

My set up has a 100mbs router which connects via cat6 to a gigabit hub/switch and from there to the TV/other devices via cat6

It's a cheapie TPlink which I got when I had the fiber installed here. It does the job but damn 4K movies buffer and I dont recall having that issue on my older Acher D7 router set up in the old place.

As I understand it the router will take care of all the traffic so I was wondering if the 100mbs router would do so effectively  :thinking:

Orcish75:
Unfortunately a lot of the entry level routers don't have a very powerful cpu in them so they can't keep up with 100Mbps when applying all the firewall rules, routing tables etc to the traffic.

Definitely worthwhile getting a decent gigabit router if you're going to be doing 4k streaming and if at all possible, keep it all wired, don't do 4k streaming over wifi.

Something interesting I came across the other day when I upgraded my fibre to 100Mbps. I'm using an old PC for my router and it had a 100Mbps network card on the WAN side. I was getting approx 95Mbps up and down on the Speedtest. I changed the network card on the WAN side to a gigabit card and was then getting approx 105Mbps up and down, so I think the fibre links are a bit faster than what they actually advertise.

chrisc:
Consider the TP_Link AC1200 - you can get them at about R1500 or less

TP-Link AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router

Specifications

Broadcom
802.11ac/a/b/g/n
867Mbps at 5GHz + 300Mbps at 2.4GHz
5 Gigabit Ports
1 USB 2.0
3 fixed antennas
VPN Server
IPv6 Ready
Tether App

CAD:

--- Quote from: Orcish75 on October 17, 2021, 10:34:38 AM ---Unfortunately a lot of the entry level routers don't have a very powerful cpu in them so they can't keep up with 100Mbps when applying all the firewall rules, routing tables etc to the traffic.

Definitely worthwhile getting a decent gigabit router if you're going to be doing 4k streaming and if at all possible, keep it all wired, don't do 4k streaming over wifi.

--- End quote ---

Figured as much thanks bud ,and I sold my TP-Link Archer D7 AC1750 not too long ago  :facepalm:
I do have all my end points wired as well.

Thanks gents

Orcish75:

--- Quote ---Figured as much thanks bud ,and I sold my TP-Link Archer D7 AC1750 not too long ago 
--- End quote ---

Ah, pity! As that is a decent router.

One other thing you can check is the MTU setting on your router, the better routers can set this automatically. If it's too high, it'll fragment the packets and waste a lot of your available bandwidth. If your fibre account is a PPPoE account (you need to put in a username and password into your router) then your MTU should normally be set to 1492.

Use this link to determine your optimal MTU setting:

https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version