Audio and Video Talk > Acoustics and Room treatment

Speaker Placement: How far from the wall should I place my speakers?

(1/1)

AlleyCat:
Here's a short, simple relevant video explaining the impact of speaker placement, the effects of phase, wavelengths and how each effects the sound in your room :

Speaker Placement: How far from the wall should I place my speakers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T10_MLGOBfc

roddy100:
I watched this short clip. In YouTube the next one was sponsored by KRK. And I then downloaded their app. Which has the capability to measure loudness and frequency on screen in real-time. And there are 3 videos. The room placement and room shape do have a large effect on sound. I have never heard 3D stereo from a badly designed setup. But with a little care, itís quite easy to get 3D from modest kit. The saddest is high end gear installed or relegated by interior design considerations. In my view such a waste.

Avian:
The short of how I understand it is that it has to do with speaker boundary interference. (SBIR)

The further away you place the speaker from say the rear wall, the lower this frequency gets, the closer, the higher it gets. I you place it far enough away the frequency become so low that it's basically a non issue.

This is a great explanation and includes REW measurements to show the effect :
http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speaker-placement-boundary-interference/

chrisc:

--- Quote from: roddy100 on October 26, 2021, 10:09:27 AM ---The saddest is high end gear installed or relegated by interior design considerations. In my view such a waste.

--- End quote ---

Seen that many times.  A R25m house in Bantry Bay where the speakers "must" blend in with the decor.   The Devialet Phantoms were a way around this and do it quite elegantly.   The worst I saw was a R2m system where the speakers were built into a gap above the fireplace.   The customers seemed to think it was the bees knees, but since the mid and treble units were 2.4m off the floor, there was no directionality at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version