Paint it black - Tannoy mxR refurb

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shifttymike

Reaction score
I recently got my hands on a pair of Tannoy mxR rear surround speakers in light maple. The drivers seem in pretty good condition and they sound a treat, however the boxes are not in great condition and light maple doesn?t go with the other (black) speakers in the setup :roll:
So, I?ve decided to fix both problems. I don?t even feel bad about it because the ?light maple? is just a cheap printed veneer over MDF boxes and these speakers aren?t exactly vintage or high value. That being said, I am a fan of Tannoys and I?m excited to get these working.

The pair in action (tested during load shedding):

TUPf3psl.jpg

The damage included
- Some small tears in the grille (not pictured)
- Chipped veneer on the corners
- Glued and stapled Velcro on the bottoms
- Swollen MDF (possibly from moisture)
- Glue in other places. Not sure why

g9K80szl.jpg

The plan is to
- Strip off all the veneer
- Paint the boxes black
- Dye the grilles (will also help hide the tears)
- De-rust and re-paint the wall brackets

The MDF tends to expand where it?s damaged, so I?ll need to sand it down generously and then build the profile up again with filler. Like where someone screwed a hole into the top of one of the speakers - it?s a pimple now.

So far, I?ve removed everything that can be removed, including all of the veneer:

X1k6G8Jl.jpg

HZlbGsSl.jpg

xAtveI3l.jpg

I?ve kept the stickers aside and will try and put everything back as close to original as I can. Annoyingly the tweeter, port and terminal box are all glued in place. I?ve carefully masked them so let?s see how it goes.

Full album below with a few extra pics:
https://imgur.com/a/LmxE3MG

Latest posts