Tannoy Mercury replacement tweeters

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shifttymike

Reaction score
Hi all
I recently purchased a Tannoy Mercury MC B/eye centre speaker to go with my 633s. Like a fool, I didn't check particularly well and the guy auditioned a song I wasn't familiar with, so when I got home, I realised that the "silk dome" tweeter was more dome than silk...
Y4w5dPNl.jpg

In that condition, it was functional but missing some of the brightness. It was also kind of sticky... I removed the tweeter to see if there was a part code or something and when I put it back, it was completely dead  :thinking:
Weird, because I was very gentle and it didn't experience any kind of impact, but I guess it had had a hard life.

I managed to get my hands on a pair of Mercury mxRs plus a Mercury mxC in light maple, not great condition cosmetically, but very cheap (R1k for all 3) and drivers all mint. I swapped the driver from the mxC into the MC B/eye. They're physically nearly identical and have the same screw hole pattern and now it sounds great!  :)
Problem is, now I have the mxC with 2 really nice long-throw 4" drivers, a crossover and no tweeter... I haven't managed to find a decent replacement, but perhaps someone here knows of a source for 1" silk-dome tweeters. I'm comfortable with modifying the crossover if necessary to compensate for different response/sensitivity, but it would be nice to have a complete unit.

Alternative is I ditch the mxC altogether and use the 4" drivers to make some DIY bookshelf speakers. Again, though, I'd need tweeters to do this. So my original question stands :)

Latest posts