Author Topic: Freenas and sata chipsets  (Read 5892 times)

Offline tangmonster

Freenas and sata chipsets
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:10:38 AM »
Hi i have been messing with freenas for the last 2 months getting to know it , even install an rss plugin for the bittorrent client.

I am using an older single core 3Ghz p3. It currently has 2 x 2TB western digital WD20EARS

cpu: single core 3Ghz p4
hdd: 2 x WD20EARS and 1 x older seagate 500gb ide.

I am running into trouble with the two wd20ears drives on the onboard via chipset i keep getting dma read errors and failures.

I then plugged in the cheap via 6421 pci card and basically things went from bad to worse.

My current sitaution is that when i stream series or movies to my media centre pc things work but on the system log i can see the dma read errors stacking up to MANY MANY errors. But it works fine.

Copying to the drive gives me no errors but reading from it gives errors.

It is so bad that i can't copy from one drive to the other on the NAS even over slow samba windows share copy. Internal copy fails EVERY time.
but randomly even upon stacking dma read errors the file copies fine and file is fine no corruptions.

I have been doing a lot of googling and it seems the problem is just that there is problems with freebsd and certain chipsets.

I don't want to pay R1000 for a pci raid card because i don't need raid. But if this thing goes down and my wife can't whatch grey's there will be problems!

So my question:

do people have an idea of a cheap sata pci card with about 4 sata ports that i can get that works with freenas?

I know
promise sata300 tx4 works but except for a few sales on ebay they seem impossible to find.
it also seems promise sata150 II tx4 will work

according to this and a few other links http://www.freenaskb.info/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=253
the silicon image 3114 chipset will work although people report that on high loads they still see a few read failures.
This chipset i see is used on the sunix cards that i see for sale in SA.
Although it seems they need a firmware update from the manufacturer to work.

Anybody got any good ideas? or even possibly a second hand card for sale?

thanks for your help

Offline tangmonster

Re: Freenas and sata chipsets
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:16:44 AM »
the errors that i am getting are refferred to in these links:

http://linux-bsd-sharing.blogspot.com/2009/03/howto-fix-sata-dma-timeout-issues-on.html

bottom of page refers to SATA errors , and is exactly the ones i am getting:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/ATA_issues_and_troubleshooting

Offline ara

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 12:23:13 PM »
Used:

Sunix sata1414 - Silicon Image Sil3112a

Sunix Sata4000 - Silicon Image Sil3114

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »
Thanks!

have you ever had the same issues as me with other chipsets?

Offline ara

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 01:34:12 PM »
Nope... Maybe it is because I always change the WDC Green drives idle settings. I any case they have built in the functionality into FreeNAS for changing the timeouts:

http://davidlari.com/2007/12/freenas/

The other thing you can ofcourse do is to change the WD Idle time of the drive itself.

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »
That was one of the first things i found while googling and boosted that value up to 20 since it is already 15 by default ,

Alas it made no difference.

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 09:25:38 AM »
I am going to loose it.

I bought a sunix sata4000 because it has the sil3114 chip. And i only have pci in the box not pci express.

I read in a few places you need to update the firmware to get this card to work with 2TB hdd's but i have updated firmware so i gave it a go.

As i read this card could NOT work or even start up with my 2Tb hdd's connected.
I then tried to flash the bios. BUT The windows flashing tool that is on silicon image's website works for no one and not for me.

The dos one dos NOT support the flash memory on my board.

So i am stuck at bios version 5.0.39 and the latest one is 5.5

So this card is in fact useless to anyone with higher than a 500gb hdd.

This is really frustrating. At this stage i can copy to the freenas box i can whatch programs from it but copying from it is impossible.

I am desperate for a pci card that will work in freenas with western digital 2tb drives.

Offline neilh

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 09:35:36 AM »
HP Microserver  ;)

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »
I hear you!

Can I load freenas onto it and put my already nearly full ufs formatted drives onto it without losing any data?

it seems there is no stock to be found anywhere?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:06:57 AM by tangmonster »

Offline neilh

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 10:13:20 AM »
Not sure, i'm also a noob when it comes to freenas. I just know that it does work for 2GB drives  ;D

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 11:05:45 AM »
after whatching a few youtube clips and searching

I found one at "shop63". Hope they are ok?

Ordering it now.

since the ethernet card and the 2tb hdd's work on freenas on this server , this seems to be my best bet rather than buying one after the other pci sata cards and wasting more time on this.

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 12:12:13 PM »
WOO HOO

got dropped off an hour ago. I just installed freenas 0.7 on a 4gb flash drive. I choose the latest nightly build.

Tonight i will add the 2  already ufs formatted 2tb drives and hopefully my dma issues will be gone.

can't wait!

MAN this hp microserver box is cute!

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 08:34:25 AM »
I am reposting upon myself a lot here ,but would just like to comment that all my problems have been solved.

The whole internet is full of post about how to turn you old pc into a freenas server.

I want to add one thing and that that is fine if you use your old hdd's also.

in my limited experience new hdd's on older chipsets with freenas gave massive amounts of headache.

In the en i took my old pc and bought a R400 corsair powersupply because i didn't trust the super old one
and another R350 pci sata card which did not solve my problems. i was already in R750.

Just buy the hp microserver or similar new product/motherboard from the get go and be done with it. take note that I found it tough to find a motherboard with more than 2 or 3 sata's on the cheaper atom style boards. For example the one that ara is selling that has 6 ports costs R1200 new.

Offline Prince

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 09:09:35 AM »
Thanx for keeping in us in the loop man. Yes, hardware can be an issue with any *nix system. I have experienced drivers being quite a problem. I'm currently running freeNAS 7.2 with a 160Gb (OS) and 500Gb (data) drives on a P4 965 chipset mobo. There was no problems, as yet, but then, I have not setup RAID yet.
-i would also rather the HP microserver route - got the SATA Raid all sorted!!

:)
"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 09:20:12 AM »
the 500gb ide  hdd and the 250gb sata had 0 problems. worked perfectly.

it was the 2tb western digital's that gave me headaches

it was a pentium 4 3Ghz
motherboard ms7142
the onboard chipset was via 8237
plugin card was via 6421

neither the onboard or plugin card sata worked well for the 2TB's

I then bought a sunix sata4000 pci card which had a VERY old bios and it was NOT possible to update the firmware.