Author Topic: Headphones for Movies  (Read 1001 times)

Offline naushaad

Headphones for Movies
« on: October 07, 2021, 02:51:07 PM »

Are there any recommendations for a set of headphones to provide an excellent home theatre experience (surround sound) for movies please. I cannot play my current AV setup much anymore, as it disturbs the peace in the house. Even the cat gets pi$$3d  :D

I am looking for something that really works and immersive. Do these headphones even exist?

Many thanks

Offline Crankshaft

Re: Headphones for Movies
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 03:20:13 PM »
Interesting question.

I wonder if any AVR's have a headphone (binaural) mode for headphones.

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 03:24:22 PM »
Choose your cans for music, then invest in Dolby Atmos for Headphones (something like $15).
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline capetownwatches

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 04:13:09 PM »
Choose your cans for music, then invest in Dolby Atmos for Headphones (something like $15).

What he said... :thumbs:

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 04:20:53 PM »
I'd suggest looking at the gaming headphones.

I've listened to my son's Corsair noise cancelling gaming cans & they were unbelievable. Completely immersive - I booted him out of his chair & took over playing the game!  :ROFLMAO:

Needless to say I was not very successful in playing, but the cans were very impressive.
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline naushaad

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 10:51:50 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

Will have a look at the gaming headsets, the $15 options  :) . On the other end of the price spectrum JVC is offering an AV pair for about $1000.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 10:53:55 AM by naushaad »

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 07:36:17 AM »
What's your budget?

Sennheiser make the RS range specifically for this purpose. The kits are basically a control unit/transmitter/stand and a wireless headphone (not bluetooth).

E-piphany currently has a showroom RS-195 (which I think is basically top of the line) for a very good price.

https://e-piphany.co.za/product/duplicated-sennheiser-rs-195-wireless-headphones-transmitter-du/?utm_source=Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=48480&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnoqLBhD4ARIsAL5JedL2iOzsxGERIm6SWN-9C6Qq8yzGI8gMcvnimVwOJTZPsqWlaXDFpSgaArmdEALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 07:38:52 AM by Tenflare »

Offline Tonteldoos

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 05:57:26 PM »
What's your budget?

Sennheiser make the RS range specifically for this purpose. The kits are basically a control unit/transmitter/stand and a wireless headphone (not bluetooth).

The RS range work really well for use with TV, but they are specifically designed to cater for hearing loss, not necessarily to represent multi-channel surround sound. The modes cater more for reproduction of speech or music, than catering for multi-channel. My parents use them very effectively - they struggled to hear the TV audio with their hearing aids. Now they can hear the TV very well whilst simultaneously ignoring each other. Perfect.

I'm not saying they won't work for the OP's purpose, but just do the research before selecting them. I think the gaming headsets sound like a very good avenue, because they are by default designed to create a spatial representation of sound (or you get killed turning in the wrong direction!).

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Recovering gear addict.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 01:16:42 PM »
I think the gaming headsets sound like a very good avenue, because they are by default designed to create a spatial representation of sound (or you get killed turning in the wrong direction!).

+1 I use the Epos Game One for TV and the PC38X is touted as being an S tier gaming headphone...  I reckon something from the Sennheiser 500 series would be a better option if there's no need for a mic.

Offline naushaad

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 03:05:57 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.

I had a look at the  RS 195 Sennheiser, good price but does not have the surround mode like the  RS 175.
I also had a look at the some of the gaming sets as suggested but I noticed they are mostly wired and would require some form of software which would normally be present on gaming consoles. So that might be a problem.

I am considering the the Sony 1000 XM4.

This is more confusing that I thought.

Offline Kshah

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 08:52:11 AM »
Check out these

https://makelifeclick.com/dolby-atmos-headphones-which-are-the-best-ones/

COWIN E7 Pro Active Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Headphones
Price, quality, sound AND wireless. Hard to walk past these
COWIN E7 PRO Active Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Headphones on a blue background
Were going to start this headphones section with an affordable choice that pairs well with Atmos and Atmos enabled devices.

The Cowin E7 Pro is an upgrade from the E7. They are Bluetooth (therefore wireless), have active noise cancelling and are a set up from the previous model, which was already awesome.

We chose these to pair with Atmos as they are portable and have a 45mm driver which is always best for maximum Dobly effect and deep bass.

Great sound, good comfort and a 30-hour playtime battery life = #winning.

Pros
30-hour battery life
Comfortable
Improvement on already great headphones
Bluetooth
Active Noise-cancelling
45mm Drivers
aptX Codec
Cons
The build feels good but its not super high-end. At this price, who cares.
Shah

Offline bowlOfOats

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 02:54:07 PM »
I'd start by getting a bluetooth dac like the Fiio btr5. Then you can use any comfortable, good sounding cans for movies :)

Offline naughty

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 03:19:25 PM »
I'd start by getting a bluetooth dac like the Fiio btr5. Then you can use any comfortable, good sounding cans for movies :)

BTR5 is terrific for stereo applications ..... but i'm not sure it will work as intended for him - he wants surround sound according to his opening post  :nfi:

or are there drivers that will make the BTR5 work in surround mode that i am unaware of  :nfi:

Online SarelLouw

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 03:45:56 PM »
This is what you need: https://www.fiio.com/bta30

R1750 all-in from Amazon.

Offline naughty

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 05:05:07 PM »
This is what you need: https://www.fiio.com/bta30

R1750 all-in from Amazon.

still cannot see any surround sound capability in this solution  :nfi: