DIY & Tutorials > DIY Resources

Aluminium cutting, finishing, and anodising

<< < (2/3) > >>

Trompie67:
Not sure who Oom Schalk uses, but I can highly recommend Piet from cerakote.co.za based in Centurion.

His work is excellent & the standard of finish is fantastic.

Schalk:
I had Piet do two front panels for me which came out fantastic, cost a fair price as Ceracote is not exactly cheap. He however said that this was not really his territory, as doing guns to the delight of peeps all over is his passion. He is well respected even in the States. So I started importing my own stock which is why I know that it is hellishly expensive and not all that easy to get the perfect result every time. It also gets me on the wrong side of my wife as her oven works more for me than for her.

I'll not be doing this as a service, too busy and also not a boffin like Piet. I also think that anodizing when done right, is more durable in the long run, although not always color fast. Black tends to go purple/blueish.

naboo:
Thank you Trompie, Schalk.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

kolakidd:
Iím kind of bummed that you just can get a local supplier for the full treatment. I really try and support local as much as possible, just wish local took my stuff a little more seriously. Anyway.

The Cerakote looks impressive, the pricing is high, but the kits look comprehensive with lots of application tutorials.

What are your thoughts on powder coating aluminium. I mean obviously not heatsinks, but enclosure panels.

Skylar:

--- Quote from: Schalk on October 04, 2021, 08:23:40 PM ---I also think that anodizing when done right, is more durable in the long run, although not always color fast. Black tends to go purple/blueish.

--- End quote ---

Anodizing is very durable. It is an oxide layer, or coating if you will, that is "grown" on the surface of aluminium. When done properly, it is also retains its colour indefinitely. The heatsinks that www.designedanodizing.co.za did for me are just as black today as they were three years ago when it was done. I have no connections to them, btw. Just a happy client.

I wouldn't touch powder coating again. It may be fine for big stuff like a car chassis, motorbike frame or similar items. But the finish is too uneven for audio stuff in my opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version