Quad 2 - non-standard capacitor values

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marantz123

AVForums Super Veteran
Staff member
Reaction score
Fellows

Need some advice regarding capacitors used in the Quad 2.  C1, C2 and C3 are specified as 100nF.  I have come across a configuration where C1 has been chosen as 220nF and both C2 and C3 as 680nF. I gather that a characteristic of the Quad 2 input stage is that it requires a preamp output/input signal capable of up to 1.4 V of swing for satisfactory performance, which I understand is a characteristic of the QC2 preamp designed to be used with the Quad 2.

Understandably a larger capacitor (C2, C3) would allow a higher amplitude of signal to pass across it. Is it possible that the mentioned higher capacitor values were "chosen" such that the Quad2 would perform well enough with a modern preamp output, assuming 1V of output swing as an example ?

Would the larger C1, C2 and C3 affect the lifespan of the tubes or other aspects of the amplifier ?
What would be a suitable alternative preamp for the Quad 2, would the preout from a Marantz 1060 perform well enough with the original configuration ?

Is there any merit in the non-standard capacitor configuration mentioned ?

Thanks
Marantz123.

Latest posts