Audio and Video Talk > Acoustics and Room treatment

Is it time for proper room treatment?

(1/2) > >>

Nikkel:
...a less disruptive post, but here we go :angel:

Long story short, I basically have the setup I've wanted, within budget, bucket list items will have to wait but for now I'm happy...or am I?

85% yes but the other 15% makes the chase even harder...

I've been fine tuning and playing around with EQ frequencies for the best part of 2 months now... for some genres there's a sweet spot but not so for others.

Do I look at room treatment to get where I'd like to be?

Others that have been here and had a listen, 100% of the time had very positive things to say, that said, I'm in Mitchells' Plain Cape Town where a Mgongo or a big blue tooth speaker on wheels is the pinnacle of sound :facepalm:

Oh how I can kick myself for not going to Late Rodney Gold's home when he extended an invite after selling him a set of Infinity bookshelf speakers for his daughter's setup.

Yossarian:
Short answer yes - it is always time for room treatment . Doesn't have to be crazy start with first and second reflection points on wall. I haven't tried yet(WAF is real) but also seems bass traps in corners are mandatory.

I have 4 sound panels made of rockwool that I out up and take down in out lounge which is a pain but makes a big difference

RRankin:
It is amazing what can be achieved with room treatment. I agree with Yossarian: start with the low hanging fruit as he described.

I was, for instance, astounded by the difference in imaging I achieved a couple of years ago when I fitted some extra absorber panels I had on front wall (the wall behind the speakers and system). Prior to this a large projector screen resided there, so no prior room treatment on this wall besides the projector screen which I suppose was (at least) less reflective than a bare wall. Vocal image is now better than ever.

From some practical experience over the years, I would now go as far as saying that spending any large amount of money on a system, with a poor room, is well......not ideal. I understand this is not the route most of us take, including my younger self. It is different now to the older me, if I ever move, that's the first thing I would do in the new hifi room, make sure the room is good.

This will differ according to personal taste, I prefer a dead room, I have near zero clap-echo for instance. This may not work for all.

Raffs:
I agree with the above , Just today I completed my room treatment project and it made all the difference in the world ,my soundstage has definitely improved along with much better imaging and bass response ,  I took the cheaper route by making my own panels and bass traps and installed them using basic logic , starting with the first refraction point and tried not to make my room too ďdeadĒ but thatís a personal choice ... no room measurements done just winged it worked out for me ... Iím sure itís far from perfect but it has given me a greater appreciation for my music and my system ... room treatment definitely a worthwhile upgrade, go for it !

RRankin:
That is great to hear Raffs, well done.

I have also done it using some basic logic and admittedly, ideas stolen with the eyes from some high end room treatment setups I have seen and heard. I absolutely respect and appreciate the professional methods out there, they take the room specifics into account much more comprehensively. So I am under no illusion that my room treatment is perfect, but I seem to have gotten a shot of luck with my basic logic seemingly working out on the 80/20 principle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version