At -60db Dialogue very difficult to hear, is it an Audyssey setting/issue? Or something else?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoziNic

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
So before the new housemate arrived we would watch movies (in either 5.1 or stereo depending on source discs, off a server, Netflix, YouTube), and would listen anywhere between -38 to -20 dB on the dial?And the dialogue was great, clear, legible all the things you want your HT sound to be.

With the new arrival and for the first time in just under 6 months being able sit down & try and watch something but not wanting to put it anywhere near -38 or louder (as so far the handful of opportunities to watch anything he is sitting on either of or laps) meaning we turn it down to around -60 to -55.

Opting to play with the dynamic EQ, dynamic volume etc on the Multi EQ XT but the problem is that when turning the volume down to -60 the sound effects are still very clearly audible (or rather more easily audible) and the dialogue is barely audible.

I just cannot get the settings right that I can actually hear what people are saying at -60 to -55 without having to turn up the volume which then makes the effects really loud (granted it was only while trying watch this one movie in particular but couldn?t get it right)

I tried instead to turn the volume of the centre up only and it didn?t help much.

I was watching army of the dead on Netflix (which by the way I?d you have the time and want something to watch and are thinking you may give it a watch, throw your amp, speakers and tv out the window rather?it would be more entertaining) not only did I watch this utter nonsense but I watched it over 5/6 different 30 minute sessions as nearly 2 hours uninterrupted in my home is now unheard of since April 26

I have not tried watching any other content at similar volume to see if it sounds the same but my question/s are as follows:

Where on the dial do you normally watch movies/tv?
If you set yours to -60 can you hear the dialogue clearly?

My understanding is that dynamic volume makes dialogue louder at lower volumes so should technically be where the fix/play should be at lower listening levels is this incorrect?
I thought the whole purpose of Dynamic EQ was to solve exactly this issue

It cannot be a power issue as I am running my front stage each through a 200w 3 channel power amp (which is plenty) as an FYI the AVR is a Marantz SR5012 and the speakers are Bentley Acoustic FS150?s & FC150.

Should I be playing with dynamic compression instead?

This issue goes away when the dial is set at -25db

The marantz Manual describes dynamic volume as ?solving the problem of large variations in volume level between tv, movies and other content (between quiet passages and loud passages, etc.) by automatically adjusting to the users preferred volume setting.

And then applies a heavy, medium or light adjustment
In my mind a heavy setting should then solve the problem but didn?t.

Marantz describes dynamic EQ as solves the problem of deteriorating sound quality as volume is decreased by taking into account human perception and room acoustics & can either be set to on or off. Surely this would be the solution here? But still didn?t help at -60 volume.

I have done full audysee calibration numerous times so it?s not a measurement issue (at least I don?t think it is)

Any ideas or feedback on trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk