50 Years ago

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agaton Sax

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Well, 50 years and 7 months ago in a medium-sized building on Holywood Boulevard that formerly belonged to Charlie Chaplin there were 3 recording studios, A large, medium and small studio.

In the large studio, Richard and Karen Carpenter were recording the mega million-selling "The Carpenters". In the medium studio, Carole King was recording an album called "Tapestry" and in the small studio, Joni Mitchell was recording "Blue". Amazing innit?

Tapestry became one of the best selling albums of all time and "Blue" one of the most iconic. Around the corner, in another studio, James Taylor was recording. So on King's " Will you still love me tomorrow? " Taylor sings back-up on the one channel and Mitchell on the other-just because they were around!

Carole King loved the sound of the piano in the small studio. However it was locked out by Mitchell during the day, so King and the band sneaked in there early one morning to record 3 tunes "I feel the earth move", "You make me feel like a natural woman" and "You've got a friend". Hours later Mitchell was at that same piano recording "The River" and "Last time I saw Richard"!

All this in the most remarkable year in music-1971. Do read David Hepworth's brilliant book about the year that was 1971 "Never a dull moment" .

What will 2021 be remembered for? Oh, yeah. Just forget it.