Author Topic: Power cable DIY opinions  (Read 689 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
Re: Power cable DIY opinions
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 09:33:03 PM »
Nice!  It looks excellent and you have made a good start

Where did you get the metal braid and the mdpc-x sleeve?
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Online Retrovega

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 10:35:22 PM »
Nice!  It looks excellent and you have made a good start

Where did you get the metal braid and the mdpc-x sleeve?

Thanks.

Metal braid from jaycor.
Sleeves from https://beyondcustoms.net/

Online Retrovega

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 12:02:59 PM »
Made some progress

Online Retrovega

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 01:30:06 PM »
Lowveld Audio keep very good quality 15A plugtops

I contacted them, unfortunately the owner has passed away and they will be closing down.
And they do not have stock available.

Offline Vinotinto81

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 01:49:51 PM »
Nice!!
I will appreciate your report after testing, especially any difference of the sound in different bore.

Offline pwatts

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2021, 01:51:00 PM »
If you struggle with plugs, you can always replace your SA outlets with Schuko or other types that will allow using the fancy audiophile plugs instead. LeGrand makes nice modular ones that fit SA mounting frames and thus a drop-in replacement.

Although just as good or better, It's not code so if you sell the house you'll have swap it out again with a regular outlet to get your clearance certificate. Since that's a 5minute job it may be worth investigating instead of hunting down ProP plugs, plus the SA outlets are hardly great quality to begin with, or massively tarnished if it's old.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 01:55:06 PM by pwatts »

Online Retrovega

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2021, 03:07:22 PM »
Nice!!
I will appreciate your report after testing, especially any difference of the sound in different bore.

Thanks. And oh dear…. I hope it makes a bit of a difference…. Whether I hear it or not…. Eish.
But for the most part I wanted a shielded cable to prevent interference with my speaker cables and interconnects as it’s a crows nest behind my cabinet 🤦‍♂️

Online Retrovega

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2021, 03:10:53 PM »
If you struggle with plugs, you can always replace your SA outlets with Schuko or other types that will allow using the fancy audiophile plugs instead. LeGrand makes nice modular ones that fit SA mounting frames and thus a drop-in replacement.

Although just as good or better, It's not code so if you sell the house you'll have swap it out again with a regular outlet to get your clearance certificate. Since that's a 5minute job it may be worth investigating instead of hunting down ProP plugs, plus the SA outlets are hardly great quality to begin with, or massively tarnished if it's old.

Yup that’s a great idea…
Was actually looking at this power conditioner with universal plugs. Then change my plugs to UK ones.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/WAudio-Noise-Power-Filter-Conditioner/dp/B08DJBRN8S/?_encoding=UTF8&pf_rd_p=15c2bbe9-b87b-4bb6-b748-55099aa37387&pd_rd_wg=ylXxk&pf_rd_r=Z4QDKK614ASGVNA0DEB4&pd_rd_w=CHfIV&pd_rd_r=3be64d50-7b86-4baa-a72d-f5b08507d380&ref_=pd_gwm_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Offline pwatts

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2021, 03:21:58 PM »
Thanks. And oh dear…. I hope it makes a bit of a difference…. Whether I hear it or not…. Eish.
But for the most part I wanted a shielded cable to prevent interference with my speaker cables and interconnects as it’s a crows nest behind my cabinet 🤦‍♂️

Power cables won't interfere with speaker cables. Interconnects, HDMI, USB etc. different story.

Offline Vinotinto81

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2021, 03:24:35 PM »

Thank you for your message! noted

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2021, 03:44:14 PM »
Pity about Lowveld Audio, they had a good selection of items

The surge-arrestor 15A plugtop that Communica and Mantech sell is well made, has solid pins and with a bit of surgery to the lid can cater for larger than average cables

For a socket, I use the PDA available from Scoop.  Proper spring-loaded sockets

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2021, 05:43:17 PM »
Please can some entrepreneurial soul take over where Prop left off? This is the sort of thing Guillaume was great at, sourcing essentials. With both Lowveld and G gone , something as simple as making up moderate mains cable becomes a problem. RCA plugs, Schukos, that great Supra mains cable etc. Maybe with Ben's guidance, Mrs Croak can fill an essential gap?

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2021, 09:55:57 PM »
The Microtek range of 15 amp plugs are as well made as the ProP.  They also have silver pins with a spring design.  I got some from Batteryfix and they are surprisingly inexpensive.  These are made in India

I originally got some PV pane plugs from them and spotted the 15A plugs in their range..One criticism I have is their very high shipping fees, often exceeding the cost of the goods

Offline Nidri

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2021, 10:10:48 PM »
The Microtek range of 15 amp plugs are as well made as the ProP.  They also have silver pins with a spring design.  I got some from Batteryfix and they are surprisingly inexpensive.  These are made in India

I originally got some PV pane plugs from them and spotted the 15A plugs in their range..One criticism I have is their very high shipping fees, often exceeding the cost of the goods

Thanks Chris

This the one?
https://www.batteryfix.co.za/product/electrical-plugtops-3pin-15-amp/

P.S. This looks a little like the ProP:
https://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/shop/south-african-plug-rewireable-black/
Whilst Nidri takes reasonable care to ensure that the information in this message is correct and up to date, this might not always be the case. Nidri does not give any warranties as to the accuracy and safety of any information appearing in this message.

Online Retrovega

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2021, 11:27:58 PM »
Thanks Chris

This the one?
https://www.batteryfix.co.za/product/electrical-plugtops-3pin-15-amp/

P.S. This looks a little like the ProP:
https://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/shop/south-african-plug-rewireable-black/

Thanks for this. I found the leadsdirect site last night. I can query the build of it and I could order in bulk if we have enough people interested. I’ll investigate the battery fix one as well.

Just plugged into the Emotiva amp…. And been watching Ready player one from a Panasonic 820 in 4K. First impressions are that at low volumes there is definitely more detail that is audible, where as previously I had to increase the volume a bit more to attain the same details. Also bass seems a bit better…. But I don’t know for sure….