Audio and Video Talk > Cable talk

Power cable DIY opinions

(1/7) > >>

Retrovega:
Hey all.

Been looking to get a decent set of power cables Specifically ones with EMI shielding and better gauge that the stock ones. Nothing super elite.
So looking at them I noted they are not cheap and as readily available in SA terminations. So I though why not make some.

My idea as follows:

IEC C13 female connector: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088QXM4WB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A205VE1PUGXUMQ&psc=1
Find a good quality RSA plug head.
Cable: Monster 4mm speaker cable - 99.99% OFC specs. Used as single core for live/neutral and earth (know its not used for most equipment but will just add it to cater for future use) Will add a layer of heatshrink per core for added insulation. Or if I can find high quality copper power 4mm cables.
EMI shielding sleeve: https://www.jaycor.co.za/product/4mm-id-tinned-copper-tubular/
The another layer of braided PET sleeving: https://www.hellermanntyton.co.za/products/cable-protection-systems/pet30/911-01030

The individual cores will be plaited/twisted.

Thoughts? suggestions?

chrisc:
That will undoubtedly work

Is it going to be any better than 4mm shielded surfex?  I cannot see the OFC component doing anything to a 230 volt mains signal.

Why not run a dedicated cable from your DB, insert a suppressor component in there?   Something like this for about R550,00

gavinbirss:
Safety first, a Lapp 100 CY 3 with 2.5mm (squared) conductors will already give plenty current capability and added material/fire hazard safety benefit over a speaker cable. (insulator may be chosen for sonic reasons not fire hazard safety reasons)

Be warned this one is not very flexible and outside braid shield a bugger to get finished off with earth lead.

This can be bought from RS electronics only on 50M rolls. I still have plenty on my roll.

The Supra Lorad CS 2.5 and variants are much better suited for power cables being much more flexible and conductive plastic is used with shield so less hassle to terminate shield.

I have a Viborg Schuko that I tried recently and is doesn't look too bad, the Supra's are also very nice.

Perhaps safe yourself the hassle and buy a ready made cable?

Set a budget target per meter and find best cable (normally thickest).

Retrovega:

--- Quote from: chrisc on September 13, 2021, 03:05:58 PM ---That will undoubtedly work

Is it going to be any better than 4mm shielded surfex?  I cannot see the OFC component doing anything to a 230 volt mains signal.

Why not run a dedicated cable from your DB, insert a suppressor component in there?   Something like this for about R550,00

--- End quote ---

Thanks. That could work but it would be a pain to run new cables from my DB, old house, small ceiling crawl space and so on.

Not sure about the properties vs surfex - mostly was going to use it because I have extra laying about and i know its pure copper. But ye its probably better to use the 4mm surfex that have the required safety and insulation ratings.

Retrovega:

--- Quote from: gavinbirss on September 13, 2021, 03:13:02 PM ---Safety first, a Lapp 100 CY 3 with 2.5mm (squared) conductors will already give plenty current capability and added material/fire hazard safety benefit over a speaker cable. (insulator may be chosen for sonic reasons not fire hazard safety reasons)

Be warned this one is not very flexible and outside braid shield a bugger to get finished off with earth lead.

This can be bought from RS electronics only on 50M rolls. I still have plenty on my roll.

The Supra Lorad CS 2.5 and variants are much better suited for power cables being much more flexible and conductive plastic is used with shield so less hassle to terminate shield.

I have a Viborg Schuko that I tried recently and is doesn't look too bad, the Supra's are also very nice.

Perhaps safe yourself the hassle and buy a ready made cable?

Set a budget target per meter and find best cable (normally thickest).

--- End quote ---

Thanks will check out the cable as well.

Also I looked at the pricing. I think the cheapest if found was the viborg ($120 ex shipping) https://www.amazon.com/Viborg-Audiophile-MTR-VP1501-Multplex-Connector/dp/B07RB15YPH?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1 but then still has the US plug which I'll need to change or use an adapter for.

If there is any local suppliers please let me know as well and I can look at that as well.

Also I like to build little DIY projects and customise for my aesthetics and requirements.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version