Author Topic: SSD Failure and Warrantee Process  (Read 649 times)

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
SSD Failure and Warrantee Process
« on: September 13, 2021, 01:27:53 PM »
About 9 months ago I had an SSD fitted to my work laptop.  On Friday morning I started getting CRITICAL PROCESS DIED and KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERRORS, and on restarting this:

Port-0: GOLDEN MEMORY-480GB
S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad, Backup, Replace.
Press F1 to resume ...

So I took it to Matrix Warehouse where they tested the drive health as 93%.  The SSD will be removed and sent in to start the warranty process, which could take a month.

Is this normal? SSD's should surely be more reliable than optical drives? And surely it cannot take a month to determine if a drive is bad?

I need to work on the laptop so I have no choice but to fit a new drive. Wonder if I will ever see the supplier or Matrix own up and do right ...
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+20)
Re: SSD Failure and Warrantee Process
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 02:10:48 PM »
I just had one fail in a Dell, under warranty. They sent a new one, didn't even query the old one. They didn't ask for the bad one back but I can't test it as I don't have anything else that takes an M.2 drive. Turnaround was about a week.

Apart from this, I haven't had any issues with SSDs in the 8 or so years i've been using them.
Commercial Property Broker- Upper Highway KZN

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 02:24:55 PM »
I was lucky enough to own a OCZ Vector drive (now Toshiba). There were some dicey SSD controllers early on and when they fail you can't really get your data back (backup data!). Only Samsung, Sandisk and Crucial made drives in those days in my opinion that could really be trusted, but SSD controllers have come a long way since. My OCZ drive failed twice (5 yr warranty), I sent it in to them directly and received a new drive each time in about 7 days so service was pretty good dealing with them directly, though it cost me shipping and duties. The last time they also doubled the storage I had on this drive which was nice of them. It has been pretty solid since then, but I run non mission critical stuff on it nowadays. I haven't had any problems at all with NVMe SSD drives.

I've checked the SSD that you have and it has a Silicon Motion chipset which is usually pretty solid, but in this case it might be dicey flash memory. There is a lot of problems in the supply chain with flash memory so you might just be unlucky (counterfeits , sub par flash memory etc.). In that sense it is better to buy from a well known OEM such as Samsung, Crucial and Western Digital (previously Sandisk who also always made good flash drives) if the stuff you are running is mission critical.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 03:09:32 PM »
Did you run Crystal Disk info on it?   I had a dodgy SSD once and it turned out to be the SATA cable

Matrix will return the drive to the factory who will usually replace it.   You could sell it as is, or fit it into an external USB 3 case
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Scubadude

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 03:53:12 PM »
c.). In that sense it is better to buy from a well known OEM such as Samsung, Crucial and Western Digital (previously Sandisk who also always made good flash drives) if the stuff you are running is mission critical.

That bit irks me ... they had one of the leading brands on display, and when I asked what type would be fitted they showed me the display cabinet. Never a Golden Memory in sight ...
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline LAV

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 07:39:37 AM »
Have had very few SSD issues. I agree, Dell are really great when it comes to support and repairs.

I run some Samsung and Kingston SSD at home, some WDC too. No issues at all. Golden Memory - first time I have heard the name.
Vaal Triangle (Southern Gauteng)

Offline ALF

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 01:02:29 PM »
a normal Laptop drive is not optical it is magnetic if it was optical it will outlast many of us no heads scraping on platters.

Yes no backup system in place with SSD drives = many tears
In my recovering business I can recover almost all SSD failures very expensive equipment is required
"the fostex thang".....

Offline Timber_MG

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 01:56:34 PM »
SSDs have a rated write count and require write leveling to not cause premature degradation in one area. The firmware will report this.

Offline DACMan1

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 01:59:45 PM »
SSDs have a rated write count and require write leveling to not cause premature degradation in one area. The firmware will report this.

Usually when the NAND fails, the drive will become read-only. This one sounds like a controller failure.

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 03:35:52 PM »
a normal Laptop drive is not optical it is magnetic if it was optical it will outlast many of us no heads scraping on platters.

Yes no backup system in place with SSD drives = many tears
In my recovering business I can recover almost all SSD failures very expensive equipment is required

Our daughter got passed down my wife's old Acer Aspire laptop a while back. It became dog slow so for a small (comparable to buying new) amount I swapped the internal, optical HDD with an SSD. The optical is a 2009 manufactured WD Scorpio Blue! Still working just fine, now used as a backup drive for the same laptop! SSD made the laptop perfectly usable once again for school purposes.

I've always made a point of purchasing reputable name SSD's & the same with flash drives (we sell approx 5k to 10k flash drives a year). Always recommend (and for personal use only purchase) tier 1 flash memory.

It seems like the OP was scammed, expected (and paid for) tier 1, got given a tier 3 or 4 rubbish instead.
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline Scubadude

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 05:06:42 PM »
So this afternoon at Matrix Warehouse I'm told there is no need to pay for a new drive as I have the option to wait a month  R2200 later I'm back to where I was.  Shocking customer service. Stay clear if you can, or buy your drives online and fit them yourself. The backup is the same.

Offline ALF

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 07:15:53 PM »
It is not optical people it is a hard drive, magnetic platters and magnetic read/write heads.

All SSD brands fail I do all the University Dell and Lenovo repairs they use Toshiba, Samsung .... NVME and mSata they all fail from firmware controllers to NAND make backups they die like a cell phone no warnings and normally after you power down and with power up SSD dead.
"the fostex thang".....

Offline fredeb

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 11:04:27 PM »
Yes  listen to @ALF . Backup , backup backup . Or ... If you have a desktop system , run a Raid 5 or 6 setup .

I was a very early adopter of SSD technology , when most folk never knew the things even existed . 2009 , 1st gen i7 , I used to buy the top work station motherboards those days , and only Asus or Gigabyte , and own the latest greatest graphics , and then overclocked the hell outta it , custom water cooling and all .
Those days a blue 128gb Kingston HyperX was close to R4k . I think it was only Kingston , Crucial , Corsair and Intel that made SSD's . Intel still make some of the best mission SSD's but few private individuals can afford them .

People like Seagate , WD and Samsung only started manufacturing SSD's much later . Samsung may have manufactured nand back then , along with Micron .

The following year I purchased another one of those Blue HyperX drives , or managed to track down an old stock one through Frontosa . The new Kingston HyperX's ziz were black , and more expensive and had nand with a much lower write-back rating . Only a serious geek would know this ( hint : look at datasheets of drives to learn write-back rating ) . I wanted to run 2 of these beasts in a Raid0 configuration . Stripeing , no redundancy , just blisteringly fast performance . ~50% increase in read/write speeds . In case of failure I would only install OS and software on this "disk" ( 2 or more drives are seen as one in raid , before partitioning) . Personal data would be stored on 2x regular drives in a RAID1 configuration - this config is mirroring, and redundant . Eg. 2x 2Tb drives with exactly the same data written to both simultaneously . So 2x 2Tb = 2Tb . One drive fails , you replace it and the Raid software rebuilds the array .

A year later I bought another 2 of these blue 128gb HyperX drives 2nd hand from someone who was upgrading to the next latest greatest , these were then 4 way striped for even better performance ( probably still slower than today's NVME and M2 variants , which are getting even faster ) .
Today I run those exact same 4 drives , in the same X58 , 1st gen i7 pc in RAID5 ( a balance between performance and redundancy )

So ... you see , not really a reliabity issue , as long as you know what you're buying .

Buy drives with high reliability ratings . Instead of buying WD blue drives , buy red or purple or black . Whether they are SSD or regular drives (optical drives are CD's , DVD's or Blu-ray's - written and read by laser light ) .

If I were to buy an SSD drive today , for the money saved , I'd buy an Adata ultimate SU800 drive , same MTFB factor as top Samsung drives at a fraction of the price .

The Kingston 450 or 550 range drives are also very good , but pricier .

For a regular HDD , I'd buy  a Ultrastar He10 or He12 drive (Ultrastar were Hitachi , now bought and marketed by WD ).

You may not have heard many of the names mentioned here , because they are mostly enterprise or just plain geek brands .

More importantly , don't believe me , check the data .

...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline ALF

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2021, 12:48:31 PM »
So yesterday I received a good case study and I have only read about the warnings signs of using SSD in NAS devices if you dont have an active finger on them and if you dont have an active backup of your SSD backup system  :Ooooooh:

So my client used x2 Sandisk SSD in a mirror setup on a NAS system, both drives suffer from the same wear leveling yes because it is a mirror and both drives died with in a few minutes from each other before the user was able to pull the plug. The success rate is worst than working on a platter drive and need to do a chip of recover and rebuild.

"the fostex thang".....

Offline Crankshaft

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2021, 02:29:22 PM »
When buying flash rives and SSD's, where does one check to see the tier level?

Probably an obvious bit of info that I have missed, but don't recall seeing the tier level when buying such devices.

Our daughter got passed down my wife's old Acer Aspire laptop a while back. It became dog slow so for a small (comparable to buying new) amount I swapped the internal, optical HDD with an SSD. The optical is a 2009 manufactured WD Scorpio Blue! Still working just fine, now used as a backup drive for the same laptop! SSD made the laptop perfectly usable once again for school purposes.

I've always made a point of purchasing reputable name SSD's & the same with flash drives (we sell approx 5k to 10k flash drives a year). Always recommend (and for personal use only purchase) tier 1 flash memory.

It seems like the OP was scammed, expected (and paid for) tier 1, got given a tier 3 or 4 rubbish instead.