Author Topic: Benn,And Others Like Him  (Read 446 times)

Offline AlleyCat

Benn,And Others Like Him
« on: September 02, 2021, 04:15:48 PM »
I missed Benn's posts today and only saw the end of it - Drifter and Scubadude warning of his transgressions and the results thereof. Then I saw the moderator's response which culminated in an immediate ban. I do not know him.

This bothered me.

Here's why : Should we not be making every effort to encourage membership to this hobby ?

Should we not make every effort to communicate with the individual as to how the forum really operates. Times have changed rapidly in the last many years - the way we speak, communicate, etc, are all different to the not so distant past. The younger generation communicates much differently to most of the 'old Toppies'and those a little younger [in forum years] with all the nous, etiquette and experience on this forum.

Here's an article that could cast a light on this very problem :
Full Stops Are The Most Passive-Aggressive Texting Punctuation Ever

https://www.ricemedia.co/culture-life-full-stops-passive-aggressive-texting-punctuation/

Personally, I think youthful exuberance and over excitement was the order of the day. With a little bit of coaching - a pm [personal message] informing, educating,passing on knowledge of how exactly to start a topic, etc, would most certainly help. I am sure many can relate to this and have done this.

Let's try to see things a little differently, take a helping hand, seek ways to encourage and not act so quickly in discarding those whom have actively taken and made the effort to join this forum. It could have taken a lot of courage to come this far by said individual.

It also shows that we can be tolerant, kind and helpful. Is that not who we are ?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 04:23:49 PM by AlleyCat »
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline goldfritter

Re: Benn,And Others Like Him
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 04:44:42 PM »
Hmm what sort of posts was he making? Just general "lol" or emojis, or an attempt to contribute?

Also are we certain he did not get a warning or reprimand first before being banned?

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 04:52:57 PM »
Hmm what sort of posts was he making? Just general "lol" or emojis, or an attempt to contribute?

Also are we certain he did not get a warning or reprimand first before being banned?
Lots of posts with either a full-stop or comma. That is all - a single character.

I don't agree with alleycat, he was a member for multiple years, he should have known better. He was obviously trying to game the system without adding any value. If he did not contribute by now, he was probably never going to.

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 05:15:28 PM »
Lots of posts with either a full-stop or comma. That is all - a single character.

I don't agree with alleycat, he was a member for multiple years, he should have known better. He was obviously trying to game the system without adding any value. If he did not contribute by now, he was probably never going to.

The article I referred to was trying to highlight the way(s) of communicating today.

I did not have the pleasure of knowing or seeing how long he was on the forum (as I explained above, I only saw what I saw today and reacted on that).

If he was trying 'to game the system' as you opine, then he got what was coming to him. If not, my opinion stands.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline DACMan1

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 05:36:37 PM »
The article I referred to was trying to highlight the way(s) of communicating today.

I did not have the pleasure of knowing or seeing how long he was on the forum (as I explained above, I only saw what I saw today and reacted on that).

If he was trying 'to game the system' as you opine, then he got what was coming to him. If not, my opinion stands.

I really don't think the article you referenced is at all relevant. He was clearly trying to up his post count and did not post to elicit a response of any nature.

Offline goldfritter

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 05:52:59 PM »
Ja no, at the risk of sounding crass, that is just taking the piss.

There is a larger point that @AlleyCat is making - that forums like this can be difficult to break into for newbies - and I do agree with this viewpoint somewhat. I have a friend who is struggling to hit 50 posts to sell some unused tech. And I have seen at least one user who has been here for many years without hitting 50.

But for someone who is truly interested in audio and is willing to contribute, it can be done without too much effort (and I don't just mean the 50 post thing, I mean getting involved in fruitful discussions that really add value to the community). Hopefully my short time around here can attest to that.

Offline naboo

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 07:36:59 PM »

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 08:41:24 PM »
Thank you @goldfritter  for 'getting it'. LOL :)

Offline Nikkel

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 09:11:46 AM »
LOL!

I'm still waiting to have the like button everywhere :popcorn: