Audio and Video Talk > Cable talk

Cables

(1/2) > >>

Riaanee0:
Would there be a difference between stranded wire and solid cor for speaker cable.
Morrow sells cables but it has a lot of smalll solid cor each individual insulated. They reckon it is the best transmission for sound

Heinrich:
 :popcorn:

GoodEnoughGear:

--- Quote from: Riaanee0 on August 27, 2021, 06:47:26 AM ---Would there be a difference between stranded wire and solid cor for speaker cable.
Morrow sells cables but it has a lot of smalll solid cor each individual insulated. They reckon it is the best transmission for sound

--- End quote ---
It sounds like you're in that wonderful phase of the hobby where you're chasing down information and details and building up your library of knowledge. There is tons of information out there, so my advice is to read as much as you can and as widely as you can. Don't trust a single forum, source or company. Expect that your understanding will change as your knowledge grows. Expect that you'll be wrong and have to change course, maybe many times.

The relevance to this post is: whatever the answer you may get, you have to distrust it, research it in several other places before you can land on something reliable enough to warrant you spending your money. Or take the expensive shortcut, buy both and let your ears be the judge.

Vinotinto81:
I think you can feel different taste from each cables.
My recommendation is single core cable because it is moderate and no characters for me.
Reasonable or cheap single core speaker cable is LAN cable. I also use it now.

kamikazi:
There might not necessarily be an audible difference purely based on cable construction so the best thing is to experiment. It is one element in how a cable is constructed, there are many other bits that also count for a lot.
I have solid core copper Audioquest speakers cables and compared with more expensive cables they surprisingly aren't as bad as every other Audioquest product I've bought before I got exposure to more interesting and audio cables with different construction techniques. But I definitely can't tell you how the solid core construction impacts on how these cables sound? They also have solid conductors of different sizes supposedly to optimise different frequencies.
One of the nicest speaker cables I've heard use hollow core copper as a conductor so there are even more variations on this theme, so there is plenty for you to explore. Solid core cables does have other drawbacks, mostly as being difficult to work with (bending and fitting connectors are a pain). At some point I'd love to replace these, but they are not the current bottleneck in my system. The hollow core is nicer in that they are more flexible, but you have to treat them very carefully.

But I can't emphasise this enough, your best bet is to experiment with cables of different construction types, try them in your system and trust you own ears. Even before you get to cables there are a ton of other optimisation to take care of such as your room acoustic space (unless this is for a headphone) and focusing on system component matching. Then when these are all in place, tinkering with cables is a huge amount of fun where every cable swap shows you exactly what it does.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version