Another speaker cable dilemma

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrovega

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I?m busy researching speaker cables to use with my new Monitor audio gold 300?s (4th gen). Currently using QED silver anniversary xt (which from what I can find out is effectively 1,5mm) in bi-wire( bluesound powernode) and bi-amped (denon 4700h) terminated with nakamichi banana plugs. Soon to be run off the emotiva xpa-5 gen 1. So in reading and from my electrical engineering background - electrical properties of the conductors come into play with different thickness and quality of the copper and arrangement of the conductors.  All that is all good and well. The current carrying capacity to drive an 4/8 ohm load using the very simplified P=I2R(or Z) gives a value of between 7 and 5 amps to deliver 200W. Which is well below the current carrying capacity of a 1,5mm copper cable.

So essentially I have 2 questions.

1) would a thicker QED cable increase the audio qualities? Reason for QED, keeping the technology and materials relatively constant.
2) would a different more ?premium? type cable make a significant enough difference? QED was around R180/m. Van den hul CS 122 I thing is around R450/m and others of around R1000/m.

What about simply using a generic 4mm cable that is made of good quality copper?

Sorry, but just trying to wrap my head around this whole thing?.

This below article was an interesting read

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-speaker-cable/amp/