Sennheiser 560s - my experience

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddda

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thought Id share you with you my experience with the 560s.

I watched a few reviews on them:

One from Steve Gutenberg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpTLtoeQGpM

and then a comparison of 560s and 660s
https://youtu.be/VHlrXqep0Og

saw they were selling for around 3799 from makro, however e-piphany  had the same price so decided to order. The experience from e-piphany was very good and would certainly use them again.

Opening the 560s box, it states "...for critical listening"

so here is my rig:

headphones.JPG

Source is the zen dac signature. Amp is a rogers cadet mk3.

Take the zen dac signature which is very revealing, add to that, the 560s headphones which is for "critical listening", and between that add a tube amp which is transformer coupled to the headphone jack.

O my word, it was like something magical happened. Everything in the song came to life, in a way that hard to describe. The bass was deep, very deep. The sound stage was open ... very open. It was very easy to loose track of time while listening. A quick song or 2, turned into 30 minutes to an hour or more.

I tried a few tracks, everything I liked sounded hugely better. There was also a downside. Bad recordings I could previously listen too, sounded so bad, I thought my ears would bleed. I also thought at one stage something was broken, but then the more I listened, the more it came apparent that there were details in the songs that were springing out at me. I am sure this sounds so clich?, but the details were so pronounced that I couldn't ignore them.

Then, although not many here would relate, I tried them with gaming. Another shocker. I had to adjust to the bass. While doing some competitive gaming, I had to really focus and not get distracted by the richness of the sound. Not volume. It was depth. Totally amazing.

If you are considering a new set headphones, these should at least be worth consideration.

With Tubes I think it gives them a certain pleasant character to their response curve. For for me at least it was a great upgrade, so much so that I have been listening to them more than my hifi.