Author Topic: Bluesound Node 2i - Interesting observation  (Read 3401 times)

Offline francois_27

Re: Bluesound Node 2i - Interesting observation
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2021, 10:12:56 AM »
@tptb

When is the shootout happening? I'm so curious to hear what you guys think!

Offline tptb

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2021, 10:20:58 AM »
@tptb

When is the shootout happening? I'm so curious to hear what you guys think!

Stu has been busy with race prep (has a race next weeked) and I have been busy with month end.  So not running according to schedule.  However he is coming through to my place on friday so we are going to try the shootout on my system (the most relaxed set of Maggies you have ever heard).  Will report back as soon as it is done.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Offline francois_27

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2021, 11:00:43 AM »
Stu has been busy with race prep (has a race next weeked) and I have been busy with month end.  So not running according to schedule.  However he is coming through to my place on friday so we are going to try the shootout on my system (the most relaxed set of Maggies you have ever heard).  Will report back as soon as it is done.

Lekker!
I've yet to hear Maggies in real life, but they're supposed to sounds amazing through my VA Predator. Maybe one day :)

Looking forward to your listening notes. Would be cool if you can share some of the songs you use and comments on those songs.

Offline tptb

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2021, 11:35:46 PM »
I've yet to hear Maggies in real life, but they're supposed to sounds amazing through my VA Predator. Maybe one day :)

Looking forward to your listening notes. Would be cool if you can share some of the songs you use and comments on those songs.

When you are next in JHB just shout.

Ok - Stu and I agreed on both pretty much on everything.

Node2i (without external DAC) - terrible.  It is improved by the power supply mod, but it is harsh on the high notes and muddy on the lower notes.

Listened to three tracks AB.  Keith don't go (very standard, but brilliantly recorded), Mining for Gold, and the Overture from the Big Blue.

Given I am using a Schitt Multibit dac, the Node2i without the power supply would be hammered by the IFI.  With the supply mod done it is horses for courses and the differences were pervasive all the way through the songs. 

Node - wider soundstage, more controlled base.  I found it more calm and musical.  The background traffic on Mining for Gold was obvious on the Node, not the Ifi. 
Ifi - much thinner soundstage, but much deeper for anything other than higher notes.  Timing seems fractionally better than the node too.  Tonally it is darker and bassier.

In my system I prefer the Node.  Its close. Its more to my taste.  But the standard once wouldn't make it.

Cost wise, R8000 (I paid for a second hand node as I recall), plus the R1600 odd for the mod, makes it R9500.  The IFI is simply better value.  The setup and control of the Node is however a step ahead.  More than one step actually.

So - what would I buy if I didn't already have the Node?  Probably prefer the modded Node in my system, more open and musical.  The IFI is more precise and subdued with better bass.  The poblem is that an IFI with a little Schitt dac will destroy the Node with it's stock DAC at less cost.  So in reality the IFI wins.  But I won't be swapping.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Offline Kshah

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2021, 01:25:09 AM »
Very interesting....

What I can say from experience using three dacs {2 streaming dacs & 1 dedicated dac} and three different software interfaces...

The node wins hands down again and again! I recall the salesman craftily impressing upon me that what I'm actually buying is a slick User Experience and a dac to boot!

I couldn't agree more...

But now I feel the need for an upgraded power supply and a Schitt dac

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Shah

Offline tptb

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2021, 11:27:36 AM »
But now I feel the need for an upgraded power supply and a Schitt dac

I have been the Theta fan for many years, was very pleased to discover Mike Moffat was back making DACs so bought a Modi Multibit (cheap $249 DAC) off the forum.  Was very impressed with it and it replaced the Theta.  Slightly less smooth (for want of a better description) on CD's but could deal with HD streaming and is very good at it.  Having heard the Denefrips Ares 2 - it is a step ahead (though, like the Schitt takes a very long time to warm up properly, an hour after I first plugged it in was surprised how it didn't sound that great, the next morning was a different story).  Next dilemma is Schiit Bifrost or Denefrips Ares or Pontus.  Am still having decision paralysis on that.  Would love to try the Bifrost in my system to see if I prefer the sound to the Ares.

The one thing I can say, after all that rambling, is that myself/Stu/Mrs_Stu all thought the Node DAC was terrible compared to the Modi in AB listening.  Harsh on high notes, uncontrolled low notes, compressed sound stage.  The difference to the Ares (which I have heard in my system but they haven't) would be even more obvious (but that is a much pricier DAC).  Yet, in review after review, people like the internal DAC on the Node, not sure if the problem is my system or my Node specifically?

Offline francois_27

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2021, 01:12:41 PM »
I have been the Theta fan for many years, was very pleased to discover Mike Moffat was back making DACs so bought a Modi Multibit (cheap $249 DAC) off the forum.  Was very impressed with it and it replaced the Theta.  Slightly less smooth (for want of a better description) on CD's but could deal with HD streaming and is very good at it.  Having heard the Denefrips Ares 2 - it is a step ahead (though, like the Schitt takes a very long time to warm up properly, an hour after I first plugged it in was surprised how it didn't sound that great, the next morning was a different story).  Next dilemma is Schiit Bifrost or Denefrips Ares or Pontus.  Am still having decision paralysis on that.  Would love to try the Bifrost in my system to see if I prefer the sound to the Ares.

The one thing I can say, after all that rambling, is that myself/Stu/Mrs_Stu all thought the Node DAC was terrible compared to the Modi in AB listening.  Harsh on high notes, uncontrolled low notes, compressed sound stage.  The difference to the Ares (which I have heard in my system but they haven't) would be even more obvious (but that is a much pricier DAC).  Yet, in review after review, people like the internal DAC on the Node, not sure if the problem is my system or my Node specifically?

What is your system? :)

The Node DAC (to my ears) sounds a lot better through my VA Predator than it did through my Denon 4500. I have yet to compare it to other DACs throught the Predator, wish we could do some gear testing through this forum with willing members, would be a fun exercise.

Offline Dippies

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2021, 01:51:39 PM »
I will be able to add some insights in a week or two. I have a Node 2i and have a Ares II on its way to me. Once it is settled in I will also add my views of the Node's internal DAC vs only using it as a streaming transport

Offline kp36

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2021, 02:35:51 PM »
A few months back i added a Denafrips Ares II dac to my BS Node 2i . The results are very good and a huge upgrade , must note that the Node 2i is a very good streamer and i do like the Bluesound app for Tidal

Offline francois_27

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2021, 02:55:59 PM »
A few months back i added a Denafrips Ares II dac to my BS Node 2i . The results are very good and a huge upgrade , must note that the Node 2i is a very good streamer and i do like the Bluesound app for Tidal

One thing I don't get (and I might be missing something), is why would one need to use the Bluesound app for Tidal and/or Spotify when one can connect directly to the node through Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect who's interface is better anyway?

Offline Dippies

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2021, 03:06:18 PM »
One thing I don't get (and I might be missing something), is why would one need to use the Bluesound app for Tidal and/or Spotify when one can connect directly to the node through Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect who's interface is better anyway?

I find Tidal connect is sometimes buggy and slow then it is great to have a good backup in the BluOS app. I use Tidal connect 99%, but nice to have a backup. For Spotify, there is no alternative than to use Spotify connect, but I find that flawless.

Offline tptb

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2021, 06:53:39 PM »
I find Tidal connect is sometimes buggy and slow then it is great to have a good backup in the BluOS app. I use Tidal connect 99%, but nice to have a backup. For Spotify, there is no alternative than to use Spotify connect, but I find that flawless.

I hate the Tidal app.  Thus use the Bluesound app to control Tidal. 

Offline tptb

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2021, 06:59:00 PM »
What is your system? :)

The Node DAC (to my ears) sounds a lot better through my VA Predator than it did through my Denon 4500. I have yet to compare it to other DACs throught the Predator, wish we could do some gear testing through this forum with willing members, would be a fun exercise.

Gear testing would be a good idea. 

Node, Schiit, aura pre-amp, parasound power amp, Maggie's.  All cables and interconnects Chord.  Power cables from Croak. 

Terrible room.  But as I like the place that's not going to change. 

Offline Musicologist

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2021, 07:58:00 PM »
I hate the Tidal app.  Thus use the Bluesound app to control Tidal.
I look forward to compare them.
I've seen the future of Rock and Roll and his name is Bruce Springsteen - Jon Landau